1994 Honda Civic Air Conditioning Problem

HONDACCORD91
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
Hello, I have had my car for 2 yrs without any issues. When I got the car the AC needed recharged, done; drove the car it was cold. The next afernoon the air didn't blow cold at all, thought there was a leak, no leak. I did some research, replaced the thermal sensor and the relays, still nothing. Lastly I noticed the AC would only work then the car was cool (not sitting in the sun all day). I could get cold air first thing in the morning, but never after work, when the car sat in the sun all day. Any ideas?
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 9:03 AM

RACEFAN966
Can you tell me if the A/C compressor clutch is engaging at all? Get back to me and we will take it from there.
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 9:20 AM
HONDACCORD91
I am not for sure certain on how to tell. In the morning when I turn the air on, I can feel the idle drop and know there is cold air coming out.

Say it is the clucth, is that a costly repair? Just curious.
Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
RACEFAN966
I am not really thinking that the compressor clutch is bad I need to know if the clutch is engaging as this may lead to a low pressure or high pressure switch problem or a leak in the system or something. Here is a pic of the a/c clutch what it should do it when the ac if off it shouldn't spin once you turn the ac on then it should engage (you should hear a click) and the front part should spin. I need to know if it is doing this. Here is a pic of the clutch.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_567135_1.jpg

+1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 9:22 AM
HONDACCORD91
Thank you for the picture, yesterday after the car sat for several hours in the hot sun. The clutch engaged but didn't run for more than 2 min after I started driving. This morning it was much cooler and the sun wasn't out, the clutch started and I drove 25 miles to work with the AC. I have had the system checked and there aren't any leaks.
-1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 9:27 AM
RACEFAN966
If the the clutch is cycling often (engaging and disengaging) then there is a problem with either the low or high pressure switch or a leak. Have you put a die in the a/c system?
-1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 9:32 AM
HONDACCORD91
Yes the system has a die in it. It was filled last summer, but before I could get around to fixing the issue after replacing a thermal sensor and 2 relays it was Fall. If there was a leak it wouldn't be ice cold would it?

Why would the unit not even work if the car sat in 90 degree sun all day? It won't even turn on. Just blows hot air.
-1
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 9:36 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok so if it is blowing hot air and the clutch is engaging then the system is low meaning it leaked out over the winter. Now if the clutch is not engaging the system is either to low to engage the clutch or one of the pressure switches is not functioning right. I have included a pic of the reciever dryer. If there is a sight glass on it then I need you to turn the a/c on if the clutch engages then look in the sight glass does it look like liquid or like liquid with air bubbles in it?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_239236_1.jpg

Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 9:54 AM
HONDACCORD91
Well I am not 100% sure where that is located, if it is on the drivers side front just under the steering fluid reservoir, I didn't see a glass opening. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.
Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 10:18 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok it is in the drivers side front corner under the hood. Here is a pic of the system and it shows that there should be a sight glase on it, it is labeled as reciever dryer. It may have a rubber boot or cover on it. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_96.jpg

Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 8:47 AM