Estimates for engine repair for 93 Accord Wagon

BOBR-CA
  • 1993 HONDA ACCORD
I have a 93 accord wagon, and recently the engine developed a sudden leak out of the driver side of the engine, spurting out at least a quart of oil after I strated it up. This follows some problems with the radiator leaking. Can you give me estimates for probable repairs for this problem?
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 10:35 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

with out knowing what the oil leak is, I can't give you a rough idea, can you be more specific about this leak?

Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 11:31 PM
BOBR-CA
The leak seemed to be somewhere around the seal of the pan or the bolts above it (center of the pictures below).

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/430969_DSCF7943_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/430969_DSCF7940_1.jpg

Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 3:23 AM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,
Wash it down and tighten the sump bolts and see if that stems the leak, let me know how that goes.

Thursday, November 5th, 2009 AT 6:56 AM
BOBR-CA
I tried to tighten up the bolts on the sump and pan, but the oil was spurting out somewhere higher than I could see, so I had the car towed in to a local mechanic. He gave me some estimates for problems he saw - hopefully you can tell me if these are reasonable.

He said the leak was from under the cover over the timing "auxiliary belt and auxilliary shaft." He said the timing belt was soaked, and it was unclear to me exactly what he said had to be fixed/replaced there, but he may have suggested the timing belt be replaced too.

He also said that the water pump was completely disconnected (this explains the leak in my coolant system) and since they were all in the same place, he could replace the water pump and fix the leak and the timing problems, the whole repair there costing $875 parts and labor.

Is this reasonable? The mechanic is AAA certified, I'm inclined to believe that means something in terms of competence and honesty.

He also noted my CV boots were totally shot on both front wheels, which he said "we all dried out" and hence required the entire axle to be replaced, at a cost of $276 per axle. I knew the CV boots were trashed, but I couldn't afford to fix them before, and to be honest I barely drive the car at all. So I don't know how much damage may have been done, even if they were dry rotted through for some time. Is this price reasonable, does that repair sound necessary? Can I get by on them like they are without anything worse happening than already happened?

Finally, he said my front brakes were shot -"down to less than 1 mm." Repair costs, "if machinable" were $515, if the brake rotors were replaced, $675.

I am on a tight budget now - I need to get the car to the smog check for registration, but since I rarely drive it I'm hoping I can either let some of the other repairs sit, get them done elsewhere for cheaper, or even do some of this myself. So what do you think, a lean Christmas for the kids this year or what?

Thanks!
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 2:07 AM
STEVEAL01
I have a 92 wagon and had my timing belt replaced & water pump (recommeneded when replacing timing belts due to location). Was around $350 give or take. This did not include replacing the seals and tensioner (did not need replacing). I would price around, never just get one quote. Could get dependable shop for less. If your mechanically inclined, axles are easy change and I usually get rebuilds for about $65 each. Rotors on the other hand since they are pressed in, shops can so this for around $150 from what I gathered. This can be done yourself again if your mechanically inclined. I am a garage do it yourselfer.
Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 AT 12:01 PM