'95 Honda Accord - Engine Dies with Low Revs

QUAKEDISRUPTOR
  • 1995 HONDA ACCORD
Hi. I recently bought a '95 2.0l Accord LS, 76k miles. To begin with I had a bit of belt squeal when the weather was cold, so the belt was tightened. Now, for some reason, the engine dies every time I dip the clutch - the revs drop straight to zero. It's getting a little painful as you can imagine. Any ideas what this could be?

Also, the reversing lights do not work. I checked the bulbs and they are fine. All the other tail lights work including fog lamps. Suggestions?
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 10:44 AM

BRUCE HUNT
OK, how about that belt you tightened, did the problem occur shortly after that? I suspect a possible problem with the item on the belt you tightened. First, was it the alternator or the power steering? Any noise when idling and giving it gas to stay idling? You may have compounded a problem with the alternator (guessing the alternator belt was tightened) having a bearing that is going out. Tightening the belt puts a lot of pressure on the bearing and it stumbles along at higher rpm but lower rpm it drags the engine down.

Back-up lights, there is a fuse for that, if not that check the wire to the transmission for the switch and it not loose or a bad wire the switch itself could have failed.
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 10:53 AM
QUAKEDISRUPTOR
Hi. Thanks for the quick response. It was indeed the alternator belt I tightened as I thought this was slipping. When idling, the revs stay at about 2k when first started, but after a little driving they vary between around 500-900 and sometimes plain old 0.

For the lights, I checked the fuses but could not see a specific fuse for reverse lights. Is it called something else? (I need a fuse for my radio power so it'd be handy if that's all it is!)
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 10:58 AM
BRUCE HUNT
I assume you read what I said and the questions I asked. I hope you look in to it a bit closer. Back-up is the word for reverse.
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 11:50 AM
QUAKEDISRUPTOR
Yes, I did read what you said and thought about it. However, I thought it best to check your terminology. In the UK the average Joe refers to 'Back-up' as reverse. 'Back-up' can suggest an alternative power supply (Back-up power).

I also answered your questions. Any further comments?
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 12:04 PM
BRUCE HUNT
Listen to the bearing on that alternator. You could even try loosening it again, just a bit. Good luck!
Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 1:17 PM