92 SMOOTH IDLE ROUGH IN GEAR

1992 Honda Accord

hondaaccord

February, 13, 2007 AT 11:49 AM

I have a 1992 honda accord ex 2.2 automatic coupe. My problem is that when I put my car in reverse or in drive it starts running rough and miss firing. The symptoms started about a week before it started missing; I started to notice that when I was at a light or at idle the rpms would just fluctuate up down up down from about 2000-1000rpms, then it started missing on acceleration and always in gear at all times. I recently had the valves reconditioned becasue of the same problem about a 3 months ago, ive already checked the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, egr, pcv, o2 sensor and all had no effect on the problem, any help would be greatly apreciated

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

Bruce Hunt

February, 13, 2007 AT 11:59 AM

The surging of the engine can be a result of a vacuum leak. Check the lines. It can be a result of low coolant in the system or air in the cooling system. Purge of air and top off the fluid. Another cause is often a leak in the intake manifold whether a crack or more often a bad gasket. Had any work done on the intake manifold? They can do a smoke test on the manifold.

The hesitation could be the EGR valve needing to be cleaned or a bad plug wire. You may have checked them but that is a symptom.