POTENTIAL TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS ON A BRAN

2009 Honda Accord

hondadude1

November, 25, 2009 AT 7:38 PM

2009 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200 miles

Forgive my ignorance, as it is not easy for me to describe this problem that I am having.

I just bought a new Honda Accord, with less than 200 miles on it. Thus far. It is my understanding that the gas pedal on this unit is actually a drive-by-wire mechanism that controls an internal computer.

When running the car, the car shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear very sluggishly. The car seems to run ok but I hear a little bit of a (transmission?) Noise and the engine seems to rev up to like 2-3,000 rpm while I have my foot on the gas pedal. It is rated at 190HP but while accelerating from a complete standstill to say 30-40 miles, I don't really feel any power on my back for that matter.

I see the tachometer needle fluctuate from 2-3,000 RPM rapidly, yet all that engine power does not seem to be making it to the car. Any pressure applied to the gas pedal seems to move the tachometer needle rapidly as though the car is in some semi-neutral gear state, so it seems as though the power is not really being transferred to the wheels rapidly.

Is this a timing issue, a bad chip or a blown transmission?

mhpautos

November, 25, 2009 AT 11:23 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

These problems are very hard to diagnose from afar, you should have a scan done to check for any unresolved fault codes, but as it is a new car, all this should be covered under your warranty, have you contacted the dealer yet?

hondadude1

December, 2, 2009 AT 12:47 AM

Took the car in to Honda, service tech says he did not find anything out of the ordinary!

To ensure that I wasn't " dreaming" things, I decided to test drive the exact same car in their sales dept. While they were taking a look at my issues. The test driven car was nearly perfect in all respects. Responsive, quiet, the tachometer was well behaved.

Per your suggestions, I requested that they run diagnostics. The tech brought his diagnostics device (approx 3" x 12" x 12" unit?) - Seemed more like posturing to me. I doubt they even came remotely close to testing out the car. The tech said that I would have seen a check engine error if there were issues, so everything was running well!

The new Honda (company), dealers and techs look the other side when you bring up these transmission issues and refuse to help! I know there is a problem, but I may have to live with a questionable vehicle. Of course, I am never buying another Honda again.

This has been an extremely frustrating, and shocking experience with the '09 Honda Accord purchase. This from us, we own 2 '01 Honda's and have never had a single issue with them in the past 8 years.

I would have earned a lot of goodwill had I donated this money to charity!

wendywoo

October, 29, 2013 AT 1:49 PM

I'm curious did you ever figure out what was wrong with your car? I have a 2009 Honda Accord and it's doing the same thing that you explained.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions