Engine Vibration When Idle

IPHONE3GS
  • 2007 HONDA ACCORD
Engine Mechanical problem Two Wheel Drive Automatic 76500 miles

My 2007 2.4L Honda Accord has an unpleasant vibration at idle with the car in gear and my foot on the brake. The vibration comes right through the steering wheel and is worse when the aircon compressor cycles on. Also, turning on the lights and putting a load on the alternator makes the vibration worse.

When you shift the Gear to "P" position the vibration reduced. I have replaced the all engine mount from workshop, but problem still persisted. If I gently rest my foot on the gas pedal and raise the RPM's to just under 1000 things smooth out.

I went to Honda and the advisor say is normal for Honda, but I just feel that the car should not have this kind of vibration. Nobody seem to know the problem.

Please help, no one seems to know what is causing this.

Any other ideas as to how to eliminate this vibration?
Friday, May 28th, 2010 AT 11:50 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi iphone3gs,

Minimal vibrations are inevitable but if it is causing discomfort, then it should not be the case. Are the replaced engine mounts new and OEM?

During installation of the mounts, stress could be placed on the mounts when they are changed one at a time. Try loosening the engine mounts main holding bolt and start the engine to let them vibrate to re-seat themselves. Tighten the bolts and retest.

If the engine mounts are not the problem it sounds like you lost the timing chain that runs the balance shafts in the bottom of the engine.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Saturday, May 29th, 2010 AT 9:38 AM
IPHONE3GS
The Engine Mount replaced were OEM, I am not sure whether they had allowed the engine to reseat before tighten all the bolts. Can they do it now?

Does my K20 engine equipped with an internal balance shaft. Read about that the vibration might likely caused by an improperly installed balance shaft.
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 7:52 AM
KHLOW2008
Yes, you can try re-seating the engine mounts, actually that was what I was trying to recommend. But it does sounds like you have a balance shaft issue.
Sunday, May 30th, 2010 AT 8:05 AM
IPHONE3GS
I went to Honda Dealer and replace all 3 Engine Mounts + 3 Tranny Mounts. They loosen all bolts of the mounts, start the engine, select to D And R gear, allows the engine to reseat themselves then retighten the bolts.

But the vibration still persisted. I reliase that the vibration only came when the air-con compressor Kick-in. If I off the air-con sys. No vibration at any gear setting.

Please help.
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
KHLOW2008
If the idling speed fluctuates briefly when the A/C compressor kicks in, then it could be the idling speed is not stable. If that is the case, get the throttle body cleaned. Over time dirt would accumulate at the throttle body and this would affect the idling speed and cause vibration.

Check the compressor charge because overcharging of the system can make the engine vibrate.

Here is a guide

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

-2
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 9:03 AM
IPHONE3GS
Throttle body had been cleaned twice by a workshop and Honda Dealer.

Will ask the technician to check on the compreesor bracket.

Read from some forum that a Valve adjustment might help?

Please advice?
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 9:34 AM
KHLOW2008
Yes, if the idling speed fluctuates under load, valve adjustment would help if valve clearances are insufficients.
-1
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 11:26 AM
IPHONE3GS
All engine mounts replace, valve adjustment done. Vibration at idle still persist. I give up !
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 10:44 AM
IPHONE3GS
I took it to a different Honda shop and you where right the balance shaft housing has worn out causing the shafts to vibrate. Had it fixed for $850.00 but at least the car runs good again! Thanks for your help
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 9:28 AM
KHLOW2008
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Thursday, September 30th, 2010 AT 2:29 PM
IBRAHIMALNAJJAR
I have problem in my Honda Accord 2004 model, the problem is engine shaking, I went to Honda agency in Riyadh for maintenance, and I changed the throttle body and engine mounting, but the problem is still existing, in the morning, there is no even small shake, but afternoon when the temperature goes high, the shaking is increased too much and especially when switching on the AC, I paid to much in throttle body and engine mounting, and no one could give me proper answer, please need your help.
+1
Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 AT 3:31 AM
JERROBBIN
I found out that KHLOW was right with the system being overcharged. Once I let a little out the vibration went away. Thanks 2Carpros
Sunday, September 10th, 2017 AT 6:26 PM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 12:50 PM
NIKOHELLE
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD
2006 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

When I shift gear(automatic) into drive the car vibrates. At red light I shift into neutral so that the vibration will stop.
Abt 1000 miles ago I had FRONT END accident where bumper/radiator and radiator support replaced. And fender repaired but engine was ok but since then the vibration started?
Sunday, January 7th, 2018 AT 10:28 AM (Merged)
F4I_GUY
You most likely have worn out or damaged engine/transmission mounts.