No A/C on driver's side

DON-HARRIET
  • 2006 HONDA ACCORD
Air conditioning problem when on max cool driver side air is warm while passenger side is cold with dual temperature output turned off. There are no DTC codes and the sensor codes were:

1. 33.
2. 29.
3. 02 in shade 35 in sun.
4. 73.
5. 32.
6. D1 on low 99 on high temperature.
7. 01 on low 99 on high.
8. 00.
9. D0 on low 44 on high.

#9 (vent temperature air out) may be the problem - but why would it only affect the driver side?
All of the air-mix motor looked okay ( I actually removed the drivers side to verify the cable and lever were moving properly) and the heater valve seem to open and close okay.

I tried slowly turning the temp (about one degree every two seconds) to max, then slowly turning it to low three ways:
1. Both sides the same (dual off).
2. Driver side only.
3. Passenger side only.

Results:
1. When at max - equally hot air from both sides. At minute passenger side cold, driver side about the average temperature of the car.
2. Passenger side stayed cold - Driver side hot at max, avg car temperature at minimum.
3. Driver side stayed at avg car temperature - passenger side hot at max, and cold at minimum.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Better yet resolved it?
Friday, August 22nd, 2008 AT 12:08 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi don-harriet,

It sounds like one of the blend door actuators is not closing completely.

Here is a guide that will show you what you are in for when replacing them and testing the air door operation:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

After going through the data provided, I suspect the air mix door to be stuck in driver side or is leaking.

Here are the blend door locations: Mix, Mode and recirculation.

Check out the diagrams (below).

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
+5
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 7:14 AM
DON-HARRIET
I am a bit confused. Is the air mix door controlled by the air mix control motor? When I pulled the driver side air mix control motor and moved the lever by hand, I got the range of ambient air (full up) to hot air (down position). Is the "air mix door" different from this?
+2
Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 AT 2:34 PM
KHLOW2008
Yes, the motor controls the air mix door.
There are sponges to act as seals and this could be worn causing the cool air to be heated up when travelling to the air vent.
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 7:47 AM
DON-HARRIET
I guess this means that the vent system itself needs to be taken apart to repair/replace these sponges. I am surprised that the service manual does not really cover this problem other than the vague picture on 21-86. How is this corrected?
-1
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008 AT 6:41 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi,

You mentioned no DTC's, was it scanned or you used the system self diagnostic?
-2
Thursday, September 4th, 2008 AT 6:49 AM
DON-HARRIET
I used the built in self diagnostics. I got no codes, not even any blinking. So I tried it several times. I turned the ignition switch on, the pressed the "auto" button, while holding the "auto" held down the "off" button. To make sure I held it for about two minutes, no codes.
Thursday, September 4th, 2008 AT 6:22 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi don-harriet,

Try disconnecting the battery negative terminal for ten seconds and try again.

If it did not work, try this and see if there is anything on record.

How to retrieve a dtc (without hds):

The audio-HVAC display panel has a self-diagnosis function for climate control. To run the self- diagnosis function, do the following:
1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
2. Set the driver's temperature control dial or button on MAX Cool.
3. Press and hold the OFF button.
4. While holding the OFF button, press the rear window defogger button five times within 10 seconds.
The self-diagnosis will begin.

Locating Auto Button And Off Button (Without Navigation System) Courtesy of AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HVACButton06Accord_1.jpg

Locating Auto Button And Off Button (With Navigation System) Courtesy of AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HVACButton06Accord02_1.jpg

If there are any problems in the system, the temperature indicator will light up the segment (A through Q) corresponding to the error. The temperature indicator will then alternate every second between displaying "88" (all segments lit) and the error code segment (A through Q).

NOTE: The system will only display the DTC when the AUTO and OFF buttons are pressed. If you release the buttons, the display will go blank. To return the display, simply press the AUTO then the OFF buttons again.

If no segments light up, the system is still not operating properly, check the sensor inputs to the climate control unit, or refer to SYMPTOM TROUBLESHOOTING INDEX .

Fig. 9: Identifying Drivers Temperature Indicator Courtesy of AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. Fig.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HVACButton06Accord03_1.jpg

10: Identifying Passenger's Temperature Indicator Courtesy of AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_HVACButton06Accord04_1.jpg

Cancelling the Self-diagnostic Function
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF to cancel the self-diagnostic function. After completing repair work, run the self-diagnostic function again to make sure that there are no other malfunctions.

Page 1 of 1 CLIMATE CONTROL (EXCEPT HYBRID & V6) -2006 Honda Accord EX 9/5/2008
+2
Friday, September 5th, 2008 AT 7:43 AM
DON-HARRIET
I got no DTC error codes following your instructions.

I disconnected the battery needed to enter the security code and reset the clock, but no change in the A/C.

I re-ran the DTC test - no errors again.
Sunday, September 7th, 2008 AT 7:51 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi again,

Looks like you have to check the control unit or the internal linkages for fault.
Sunday, September 7th, 2008 AT 8:44 AM
OLUSHOLA
Hello All. I guess this reply may be late. Nonetheless, I still want to give it all the same. I experienced the same problem with my 2006 Honda Accord EX-L four cylinder. When the AC was on, the passenger output was cold while the driver's side was hot. I confirmed that the air mix control motor was working correctly. Then, I removed the cabin filter under the glove box and I found it very dirty. I cleaned this filter and topped up the refrigerant. Now the problem is solved. In case you have this same problem, you may wish to try this simple solution. Thanks.
Thursday, November 1st, 2012 AT 10:06 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Here is the way to change the cabin air filter, this will give you an idea:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-change-an-air-cabin-filter

This is how it is done on your car (below).

Cheers, Ken
Friday, December 1st, 2017 AT 3:18 PM