ENGINE TROUBLE

1990 Honda Accord

deatt12

March, 9, 2009 AT 9:07 AM

1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

I just sealed up my head gasket on my car, however I have come across another problem; it still chugs and runs rough. It sounds like a bad spark plug. I replaced it. It didn't work. I noticed that when I remove the spark plug wires while the motor is running, there is no difference, but if I remove a different one, it almost dies. Also, when I remove that particular plug, it makes a popping noise like it is sparking. Other than that, it acts as if it is not working at all. I have no idea what is wrong and I need some help.

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

James W.

March, 9, 2009 AT 12:15 PM

Question; What did you seal. Or what did you seal on the head gasket. You should run a compression test on the cylinder in question, or all of them for that matter. From your description, I would expect the questionable to be " 0", or close to it. If I'm correct, I would pull the valve cover and check the camshaft, cam followers and valve springs for this cylinder. Let me know what you find.

Jack42

March, 9, 2009 AT 12:20 PM

Start with acompression test to be sure that cylinder is good. If ok, then you may have a bad injector. You can try swapping it with another one to see if it makes that cylinder go dead. Also use a meter to measure across the injector (resistance) to compare it with others to see if it is shorted internally