Green sludge (antifreeze/coolant) possible leak

JGONZO2398
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
So I was looking under my car today and noticed a green slime-ish looking substance running down the frame of the car, it is close to the CV axle on the passenger side. I do not know if this is coolant leaking, but I have not had any leaks or wet spots under the car when I leave it parked. I do not know where the leak is coming from, I tried to get a good shot from above the leak but did not do the best job. Any guesses?
Tuesday, April 9th, 2019 AT 12:13 PM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

My first suspect is the water pump. However, take a look through these links. They explain how to locate the leak. Also, take your hand and touch the bottoms of the radiator hoses to see if they are wet. It could be a hose.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-leak-symptoms

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-is-leaking-coolant

The next thing, if you can't locate it is to pressurize the system. You will need a special tool to do this, but most parts stores will lend it to you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/radiator-pressure-test

If there is any way you could video looking up toward the leak, it will be helpful for me. I do see the coolant you are referring to, so there is a leak.

If you find it is the water pump, here are the directions for replacement. The attached pictures correlate with these directions.

____________________________________

WATER PUMP - 3.0L (4V)

Removal

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. Remove the splash shield.

Picture 1

4. Disconnect the heater water hose from the bottom of the water pump.

Picture 2

5. Remove the radiator lower tube bolt.

6. Lower the vehicle.

7. Remove the air cleaner assembly.

8. Remove the battery and battery tray.

9. Remove the water pump belt.

Picture 3

10. Remove the radiator upper front tube bolt.

Picture 4

11. Disconnect the upper radiator hose and engine vent hose.

Picture 5

12. Disconnect the transmission 10-pin connector.

Picture 6

13. Remove the radiator bypass hose assembly.

Picture 7

14. Disconnect the thermostat housing and position aside.

Picture 8

15. Remove the three bolts, and detach the water pump.

Picture 9

16. Disconnect the connector hose, and remove the water pump.

Installation

1. Connect the connector hose to the water pump.

Picture 10

2. Position the water pump and install the mounting bolts.
- Tighten the bolts in two stages.
- Stage 1: Tighten to 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
- Stage 2: Tighten an additional 90 .

Picture 11

3. Connect the thermostat housing to the water pump hose.

Picture 12

4. Install the radiator bypass hose assembly.

Picture 13

5. Connect the transmission 10-pin connector.

Picture 14

6. Connect the upper radiator hose and engine vent hose.

Picture 15

7. Install the radiator upper front cooling tube bolt.

Picture 16

8. Install the water pump belt.

9. Install the battery and battery tray.

10. Install the air cleaner assembly.

11. Raise and support the vehicle.

Picture 17

12. Install the lower cooling tube bolt.

Picture 18

13. Connect the heater water hose to the bottom of the water pump.

14. Install the splash shield.

15. Fill the engine cooling system.

_________________________________

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Take care,
Tuesday, April 9th, 2019 AT 8:33 PM
MAKOCC21
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
002 Ford Taurus 6 cyc. Intermitted coolant leak. Vehicle is not overheating.
No indication of where leak is. Vehicle is ok driving for two to three days and then coolant appears on front passenger side under engine area. Resevore seems ok. Water/Coolant then has to be added. If not checked, coolant level will over time fall till vehicle overheats. I have run car for hours trying to see where leak is coming from (water pump, resevore, etc) and cannot located the problem. Any ideas?
Friday, August 21st, 2020 AT 1:29 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
You will have to get the system checked with a pressure tester, this will help locate any external leaks, also have the radiator cap checked as well.

BMRFIXIT
Have to have the system pressure tested
FNEMO1
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
Engine Cooling problem
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 136k miles

I have a coolant leak, when the car is cold, at first start coolant leaks at the left rear of the engine towards the firewall, it drips on the exhaust then the ground, after a few minutes of running the leak stops, I jacked it up but could not see where the leak is, I need th put the car on a lift to get a better veiw, I noticed a lot of moisture coming from the uxhaust during warmup, but boes not smell like coolant, the car runs fine, is there any sensors or freeze plugs down behind the intake that is hard to see, do you know of any common problems like mine, or could it be a head gasket leaking, thanks for your info. Fred
If it is hitting the exhaust manifold, that tells me it is above the manifold. Have you checked hoses and the intake for leaks?
+1
LOU KIMMEL
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
The water from the cooling system is all leaking out. This happens when I drive the car and not when it is not running. The amount of fluid leaking has continued to increase to the point that if I were to drive it I would have to add nearly 2 gallons when I stop driving. The check engine light is on and I had that diagnosed at an auto store. One prob is it needs a tuneup and the other had to do with the crank sendor. Neither of these appear to me to be connected with the leak.
This all began when I was on the freeway and noticed the temp was on hot. I got off immediately at a parts store and let it cool off. Then put 2 gallons of antifreese mix in and continued to drive it. Althought the coolant continued it began slowly leaking and then continued to increase. The temp has never gone up again although it got low in coolant. I kept putting water (not coolant) in and driving until the leak incresed to the 2 gallon point. Now the reservoir has rust residue on it possibly indicating the cap is leaking preasure and water according to the Chilton manual. I am broke until the beginning of next month and hope that a new cap would allow me to drive the car. My question is could it be that that a faulty reservoir cap is the solution to the leaking?
BMRFIXIT
Have to get the system pressure checked
do you have white smoke coming out the tail pipe when driving?
And if so suspect headgasket failure
check engine light code was that you need a tune up if it did say what cylinder is misfiring and if so remove spark plug and check for coolant
have to start with pressure test
LAZYDAYS
I just had that problem. The temp sensor that points up, on the passenger side of the thermostat manifold. Motorcraft part DY-961, stopped allowing the engine fan to activate. That sensor increases resistance as the temperature increases. The water overheated, apparently causing more pressure than the reservoir cap could allow to escape. The reservoir expanded and cracked on the bottom. Pissing very little, but enough to drain the tank on a 50 mile drive.

Fill the reservoir to proper level, with cap on, let the engine idle. If the fans fail to kick on before the cap releases steam, that sensor is bad. To test the fans, turn on the AC. If the engine is hot, and the fans don't cycle, you can unplug the connector on the sensor, and the fans should start.

Some have posted that a resistor can be added to the air flow sensor on the air box manifold, to adjust the temperature which the fans kick on. Two of those wires are part of the engine temp wiring. You can google that info. Might reduce heating capabilities in the winter.
+1
LAZYDAYS
The 3.0 litre engine is steal heads, and steal block. Not an often mentioned problem with this motor. The 3.8 has a history of head gasket problems.
LAZYDAYS
Is the crank sensor external. The coolant could have got on the sensor.
DON.SHARON
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
My engine light came on so I immediately checked my oil and my engine coolant. The coolant resevior was nearly empty so I filled it with 50/50 coolant. The check engine light remains on and it seems that the coolant is not staying full, although it is not depleting quickly (I noticed a wet spot on my garage floor that looks like coolant). Is there a danger of harming my engine if I keep driving it while continuing to check and replenish the coolant until I can get it in to have it looked at? What does this sound like to you?
JACK42
The leak could be any number of things. Too many to guess. If you monitor the coolant level and dont overheat the engine it should be ok for a few days til you have it looked at. The check engine light means that the computer that runs your engine/trans sees a problem. It will need to be scanned to find out what is wrong
JRLOVESMUSIC420@YAHOO.COM
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I just want to know how many hoses could be leaking antifreeze and where theyre located.
Friday, August 21st, 2020 AT 1:30 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Many hoses this is some pictures
Best way to find a leak has the system pressure tested

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Capture_12.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Capture1_5.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Capture2_2.jpg

JRLOVESMUSIC420@YAHOO.COM
I think its the water pump, my son who is in school for engine repair says its a water pump. Is that possible?
BMRFIXIT
Yes very possible

Also common failure is the plastic tank on the passenger side inner fender
Coolant system pressure test should be done to be sure
MINNESOTASNOW
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
My antifreeze was leaking on my belt and pully I got the hole fixed so its not leaking anymore. Well when I turn my car on it makes a noise by my belt and goes away. But when I drive and hit on my gas it makes that loud noise and won't go away.I used wd40 and belt conditioner works for a second but noise comes back. It never did this before til I had that leak and it was alot spraying on my belt and pully. What is this.
Clean pulleys with choke cleaner brake clean etc. Then replace belt and tensioner, they don't need and will fail if any type of lube is put on them.
MINNESOTASNOW
Ty I will see if my mechanic can do it for me I know where pullys are but don't know how or exactly where to clean it and what do I need to buy again to clean it

Sponsored links