Problem with starting 1998 GMC Sonoma

TXFIERO87
  • 1998 GMC SONOMA
I have a 1998 Gmc Sonoma 4 cyl 2.2, has 162k manual transmission. I bought it about a year ago and it has been a good truck. It had a new clutch when I bought it. Every now & then it wouldn't start but always ended up starting. I recently replaced the battery as well. Things were fine until a couple days ago. I went out in the morning to go to work and it would not start. My starter is working- you can hear it, you can hear the fuel pump. I took the starter off, had it tested by two shops to make sure the first one did it right because I did not want to mess with the flywheel. I went home put it back on. I took the cover off the flywheel and it was only missing 1 tooth and the ring gear is fine and in the correct location. I had someone turn to key to try to see what the problem was. ( I have checked battery terminals also.) It seems like the starter is just not catching the flywheel properly. My starter is the gear reduction one. It is sitting at a very slight angle and it was like that when I took it off too. So I am not sure what is going on. Is it suppose to have that slight angle? What else could be wrong? Any ideas and any help I would greatly appreciate. I can push start it and it starts and goes.
Wednesday, August 29th, 2007 AT 9:40 PM

FORDTRUCKBUM
Need a little more info before anyone could offer advice bro.

What does the car do before it cuts off?
Is the temp guage going up or stable?
Does it sputter, kick or back fire?

We'll need as much information as possible before we could help.
Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 9:23 AM
MY83MERC
If you shut the car off after 15 min of driving, instead of letting it cut out will it immediately restart? It sounds like you're running rich and the Power Steering adds a load to the engine causing it to stall. Let me guess at this one, it stalls when you're performing a slow speed turn under no throttle? I've owned about 5 different vintage (but all 302 box body) Grand Marquis. And every one of them benifited from half a turn clockwise of the throttle body idle adjustment screw. I had two that would actually stall under hard turn, or when I put them in reverse that this solved the problem. The no restart is what concerns me tho. Have you tried to give it a little throttle while you crank it? If it IS stalling because of a rich mix, the extra air you allow through the throttle body by giving it some throttle while it cranks might be just the trick it needs to restart. These also have a history of bad ignition modules, especially the ones built in canada. A bad module could cause a weak spark, resulting in a stall at extra load, and no restart when hot. To check if it is a canada car, look at the build sticker on your drivers door jam. Should be on the door itself.
Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 9:59 AM