1995 GMC Sonoma Throwout bearing

• 1 POST
  • 1995 GMC SONOMA

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1995 GMC Sonoma 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 201000 miles

I'm getting a "chirping" sound in the clutch or transmission. If you barely press the clutch pedal in
it stops. It happens when idling or in gear going down the road. The throwout bearing has already been replaced but it did not stop the noise. The GMC
dealership stills says it's the throwout bearing.

The transmission is only a couple of years old & is still
under warranty for 4000 or 5000 more miles so I would like to find out if it could be the cause of the noise or if it is the bearing, pressure plate or something else.

The noise can go away for a few days if you only make short trips but usually returns when you drive anything over 15-20 miles. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Sunday, July 20th, 2008 AT 6:48 PM

Hi there,

I would be thinking it is a thrust bearing, if the noise goes as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed this would be a good indication that the thrust is at fault, the only other things that the pressure plate is a bit distorted and the fingers are not all even and this is causing the thrust to chirp as it skips over the uneven surface until the pressure come on.

Sunday, July 20th, 2008 AT 7:26 PM