1992 GMC Jimmy fuel pumps

TIMALSO
  • 1992 GMC JIMMY

1992 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I have been having trouble with my fuel pump. It's only a couple years old and seems to have a stuck check valve in it now. I guess I had two questions;
1. Is there a way to unstick the valve without dropping the tank (I crimpd off the supply line to diagnose the probem and it got better for a little while then messed up again)

and
2. Do you know of a brand of pump that is equal to OEM quality? I've had trouble after replacing every in tank pump I've dealt with they seem to onlylast a couple years. Have you had better luck with any one brand?

Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 1:02 PM

No way to unstick the valve, but are you sure it's not the fuel regulator? The only pumps that I know of are Delco or I thinkit's airtech, but not sure on that. I know of people using carter and haveing problems, but your harness may be bad as well and needs replacing like the larger trucks of later years.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 5:45 PM
TIMALSO

Thanks for your reply hmac ! I didn't figure the valve could be unstuck, but you never know. Carters are what most parts places are selling and their not too good for longevity. I did replace the harness last time I did the pump. The tests I did told me the regulator is good. It does run til it quits under load(like its running out of gas. Its just very hard to start if I don't give it a shot of gas or either. 90% sure its the pump, and I have found a supplier online that sells delco parts

Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 8:07 PM