Fuse blowing out when brakes applied

CHEVYMAN75
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
I have no brake lights replaced the fuse worked for a few than blew after I applied the brakes a couple of timed why replaced the fuse like four times and every time the fuse blew checked all other fuses and they r fine why does it keep blowing
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 9:13 PM

A simple trick to finding a short is to replace the blown fuse with a pair of spade terminals, then use small jumper wires to connect them to a 12 volt light bulb. A brake light bulb works well. When the circuit is live and the short is present, the bulb will be full brightness and hot so be sure it's not laying on the carpet or against a plastic door panel. Now you can unplug electrical connectors and move things around to see what makes the short go away. When it does, the bulb will get dim or go out.

In this case you can place a stick between the seat and brake pedal to hold the pedal down. The brake light circuit will be turned on. If the test bulb is only lit up dimly, move the wiring harnesses around in the trunk, wiggle the signal switch, and / or bang around the back of the car with a rubber mallet. If you see the test bulb get bright or flicker, you're in the area of the short.

It sounds like the bulbs in the back are melted here is a guide that can help you fix the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/brake-lights-not-working

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
+2
Saturday, September 28th, 2013 AT 12:35 AM
CHEVYMAN75
Yep you nailed it, the bulb socket in the back was melted.
Sunday, September 29th, 2013 AT 12:05 AM