Fuel system problem

CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
  • 1989 FORD F-150
I have a truck that will not start. I wired the fuel pump directly to the fuse box to infuse that only comes on when the ignition is on. It will start and run for a few minutes then seems like it is flooding itself and shuts off. The yellow wire on the fuel pump relay has come out. Is there a way I can directly wire the fuel pump to the relay itself instead of the fuse box and if so will that work?
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 AT 2:36 PM

KEN
Hey CHRISTOPHER,

You should rewire the fuel pump the way it is suppose to run, here is a wiring diagram which will help you fix the problem.

Please let me know who it goes so I can continue helping you.

Does the truck have dual tanks?

Best, Ken
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 AT 3:44 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Yes it does have dual tanks but I only use the front one.
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 AT 5:47 PM
KEN
Hi Chris,

They had a big problem with the switching valve on those trucks which causes the fuel pressure to fail. We replaced them all the time. It is located on the frame rail on the drivers side just behind the front tank. This could be your problem as well.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017 AT 12:08 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Okay read it relay and fuel pump seems to be acting properly. It has new plugs. But only seems to hit every time the engine goes around hitting only once. Had the alternator tested and it tested bad. Would a bad alternator cause the fuel injectors not to get the proper amount of power? Cleaned all of the ground wires as well.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017 AT 5:39 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Sometimes it will start after turning over many times but it seems to miss badly. Then after running approximately 10 minutes it starts to sputter and eventually dies and then it's very difficult to try to start all over again that is if it does start.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2017 AT 5:41 PM
KEN
When it wont start can you check the fuel pressure here is a guide

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 11:59 AM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Okay I think I've narrowed the problem down. After replacing plugs wires wiring the fuel pump to the relay correctly it seems to be working correctly. It did have bad gas in the tank so I drained it most of it out then added 10 to 15 gallons of fresh gas thinking that that should take care of the problem. Now it will start and run but the plugs get wet then they foul out. Taking plugs out the ones that are wet still smell like tarnished gas the others have carbonduck badly after the Wet Ones quit firing. I'm thinking for some reason the tarnished gas is still coming from the tank and falling out the plugs it will run however until this occurs. Wood tarnished gas filling out the clothes allowed to run for a few and then make it quit? What are your suggestions?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 1:02 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
I meant to say should the gas in the bottom of the tank still be tarnished enough to foul out the plugs? And if so would this be a reason that it only runs for a few minutes before the plugs foul again and it quits?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 1:05 PM
KEN
Yep this can happen, are the plugs black?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 1:37 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Yes they are. And the ones that don't have powder Carbon on them are saturated and what is on them smells very tarnished. Do you think that if I changed the tank or take it off and left it very thoroughly that this could fix the problem?
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 3:02 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Cleaned it very thoroughly I meant to say. This spell check is killing me. Sorry
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 3:03 PM
STEVE W.
If you can get it clean it would help. Old gas doesn't burn clean and all the crud in the tank settles to the bottom where the pumps pick-up is.

I don't know if you checked your fuel pressure yet, check that as well. Most pumps can produce more pressure than the system uses, Yours should be running at 50-60 psi. But if the regulator is bad the pressure could be higher, that can cause more flow through the injectors and it will act like it gets flooded out with the extra fuel. You get the same sooty plugs and poor running.
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 7:06 AM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Okay I'll put a new coil on it and fuel pressure regulator and tried turning the distributor but the motor still turns over very slowly and you only get a six to eight cranks on a full charge and it cranks over so slowly that it won't start. Any suggestions?
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 4:39 PM
STEVE W.
Sounds like the battery is bad or the starter is pulling a lot more current than it should.
Load test the battery to see if it's good. Pull the starter off and have it tested as well.
Friday, February 24th, 2017 AT 8:09 PM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Okay I put new plugs wires solenoid coil and fuel pressure regulator on it and it still cranks over very slowly. Check fuel pressure and timing and both of those are fine. Could it be a bad starter?
Saturday, February 25th, 2017 AT 4:00 AM
STEVE W.
Saturday, February 25th, 2017 AT 5:46 AM
CHRISTOPHER MASTERS
Okay new starter solenoid coil alternator plugs and wires new fuel pressure regulator and still the same issue any suggestions?
Sunday, February 26th, 2017 AT 2:38 PM