Frront passenger side wheel locks up: ABS/Brakes?

RICKMUR
  • 2007 FORD F-150
As I was driving down an icy, dirt road, I was applying the brakes and the ABS was "pulsing", there was a loud grinding noise from the front passenger side wheel. Suddenly, the front wheels appeared to lock up and the rear end of the truck spun around. I had to take the truck out of gear and put it back in drive to continue. I was able to get the truck home but the grinding from the front passenger side wheel was very loud and as I came to each stop, the wheel locked up and I was unable to proceed until I took it out of gear and then put it back in drive. If I were on a downhill slope at a stop sign, I had to put the transmission in reverse, back up slightly, then back to drive before I could move forward. Out of curiosity, I went to an empty parking lot, put the truck in reverse, backed up at a fairly good speed and distance, applied the brakes and there was no grinding or lock up? Your thoughts and remedy on this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 5:47 AM

CADIEMAN
U WILL NEED TO INSPECT THE FRONT BRAKE PADS THEY SOUND LIKE THEY NEED REPLACING.
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 6:56 AM
CADIEMAN
THE R/SIDE PADS WEAR OUT QUICKER THAN THE LEFT DO. LOOK AT THE ROTOR FOR SIGNS OF WEAR.
Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 8:14 AM
IMMA JEEP GUY, CJs ARE MY THING

WERE YOU IN 4X4 DURING THE TIME OF THE GRINDING?

I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH YOUR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SET UP

BOTH OF MY JEEPS HAVE MANUAL LOCKING HUBS, IF THEY ARE NOT FULLY ENGAGED ON EITHER SIDE, WHETHER IT BE FROM WEAR/ NOT TURNING THEM FAR ENOUGH/ DIRT/ WATER OR ICE KEEPING THE INTERNALS OF THE HUB FROM FULLY SLIDING OVER THE SPLINES.

WHEN THEY DON'T LOCK, I (AND OTHERS I'VE HELPED OUT) GET THE OLE RATCHETING KINDA GRINDING SOUND.

YOURS MORE THAN LIKELY? HAS AUTOMATIC LOCKING HUBS? BAD THING HERE, IS THERE IS NO "HANDS ON" TURNING, THAT MIGHT CLUE YOU IN ON, "IT AIN'T-A -FEELING RIGHT!". PULL UP/ BACK UP, LET ME SEE IF IT FEELS LIKE IT DROPPED INTO PLACE, MIGHT BE HEARD WHEN A MANUAL HUB IS BEING LOCKED IN BY A COUPLE OF SEASONED JEEP FELLERS

YOU ARE DEPENDENT ON WHAT IT "SHOULD DO" ON IT'S OWN

NOT ONLY THAT, BUT 4X4 IS REALLY NOT 4X4 DURING THIS "ONE WHEEL AIN'T LOCKED" TIME. EVEN THOUGH THE OTHER SIDE IS LOCKED, EVERYTHING MEANT TO TURN 'EM BOTH IS TRANSFERRED ONLY TO THE "SLIPPING WHEEL" OR WHEEL WITH NO TRACTION!

THE JEEP OR RATHER DIFFERENTIAL DON'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IN A BROKEN AXLE/ TIRE WITH NO TRACTION/ A HUB NOT LOCKED INTO PLACE/ STRIPPED OUT SPLINES/ AXLE COMPLETELY SNATCHED OUT!

ALL IT KNOWS (DOES MECHANICALLY) IS TO TRANSFER THE POWER TO THE "EZist " SIDE TO TURN. THAT IS, UNLESS YOU HAVE A POSITIVE TRACTION DIFFERENTIAL

IN ALL REALITY, THE EZ SIDE MAY BE TURNING A WHOLE LOT MORE REVOLUTIONS AND THE NOISE IS POSSIBLY "DOUBLED" DUE TO THIS

MAYBE THIS IS A CASE OF CLEANING, LIGHTLY LUBRICATING, AND SEALING (O-RINGS AND SUCH) YOUR HUBS (IF YOURS ARE INDEED AUTOMATIC HUBS)?

KEEP US INFORMED ON PROGRESS

Sunday, December 14th, 2014 AT 8:29 AM