FUEL PUMP?????????????????????

Ford Windstar

Dragonwitch

June, 24, 2006 AT 7:04 PM

I tried to listen for the sound of my fuel pump like you suggested.(Lay on ground w/ ear to tank) and I can't hear anything, but I also cannot get all the way under to put my ear directly to the tank. So I tried removing my back seat to listen, no noise. I also tried unscrewing gas cap and listening from there, still no noise. I don't know if i'm just missing it or not. Is there a way I can just disconnect a fuel line somewhere and try to start the car and see if there is gas coming from the line? My thinking is that if there's no fuel then obviously there is no working fuel pump! I can't afford to take it to a shop to have them test it and from the instructions in one manual there a several different testers I need to test it that way.I can't afford to buy those either. I also haven't got the funds to just keep throwing parts at it hoping that I will eventually replace the right one. Please help!

TaurusWheel

June, 25, 2006 AT 9:37 PM

What car is this?

Otto

June, 26, 2006 AT 12:30 PM

Here's something that has worked for me a number of times. Turn the key on, then reach under and bang the bottom of the tank with a good-sized rock. The shock will often start up a pump that has started to go intermittent.

Good Luck

TaurusWheel

June, 26, 2006 AT 6:00 PM

I actually did that myself once with a rubber mallet, got me home without a tow, check the inertia switch make sure it isn't tripped, also if you know what your doing, you can apply 12 volts to the fuel pump wire off the inertia switch and listen for the pump to come on.

Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right