No heat from heater

DAVE CLANCY
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 64,000 miles

In sept I noticed I had no heat coming out of vents.I changed the thermostat with no results. I took it to the ford dealer and they said my heater core was plugged. I took it to a local auto repair near my home and $500 dollars later I have a new heater core, radiator flush and new antifreeze. Problem fixed."WRONG". Two days later I have no heat again. Took it back to repair shop and they said my heater core was clogged again. They flushed it again and said it was working. By the time I got home I had no heat. Took it back again and they said it plugged up again. They flushed radiator and put new antifreeze in again. Still no heat two days later. I put in another new thermostat with no results. The car does not over heat. The temp guage goes in the middle. All hoses in car heat up except one top hose going to heater core seems cold. All together I have about $600 invested and still no heat. All control knobs in car work. The blend door works. Water pump works. But no heat. Is there a place in the macomb county mich area that could help me with this problem before we are at 10 below zero

Monday, November 24th, 2008 AT 7:36 AM

SHADOWROSE

My 2002 Ford Taurus is having the exact same problem as yours. All I have is cold air blowing out of the vents. I just spent $200 to get the blower motor fixed, I cannot believe I will have to spend a lot more money to just have working heat. I am in Michigan as well and it is freaking cold now and I have no heat. Did you end up finding out what was causing you to have no heat in your car?

PROBLEM SOLVE BELOW BY KEN

+1
Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 6:25 PM
SHADOWROSE

Ever since I got my blower motor fixed, I have only cold air blowing out of the air vents even after the car engine is warm. Prior to getting the blower motor fixed, there was heat but it was just not coming out of the vents.

-3
Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 8:37 PM
BMRFIXIT

Check heater core hoses if both are hot, if not the heater core need to be flushed as a these are the steps

Engine cool

lower the coolant level

Locate the two hoses running to the heater core

disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the
firewall

use garden water hose and compressed air if possible

run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa

do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for

the good flow and clear water to run throw

reconnect hoses

top off coolant system

good luck let me know

Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 6:19 AM
M_H_RITZEL

I agree with bmrfixit. Disconnect the hoses and put a short piece of hose on each end. Flush it back and forth until it cleans out. Something tells me that the hose are put on the wrong connection. The intake hose for the heater core should be on the bottom. That way the antifreeze will fill the heater core until it is full before returning to the engine. If hoocked up the other way the antifreeze will just go through the heater core and not give out any heat.. .

+1
Friday, December 11th, 2015 AT 11:33 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hello Dave and others that have this problem,

What happens is the heater core gets filled with air or exhaust gases from slightly a blown headgasket.

Here to two guides that will fix the problem for you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Though it sounds like Shadowrose has has a blend door actuator that is unplugged therefor the temperature door will not swing to the heat side.

Here is a guide to help you with that.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, December 1st, 2016 AT 3:51 PM
JGONZO2398
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

I am back again with another (SE model) issue. My car has never had heat since I bought it in June of last year. For some reason, I finally started looking into, I did some research and found that the heater cores in in these cars were prone to clogs or fails. I performed a complete coolant flush of my car, put in new antifreeze and distilled water, cleaned it out with radiator flush and all that good stuff. After that, I did a heater core flush. Placed a vinyl clear tubing into the heater core tubes, pumped water from the garden hose, a crap load of murky, brown water started flowing until I finally got clear water running through. I have a new blend door actuator, I have looked down there and see the lever moving and I hear it as well, no vacuum hose leaks or anything like that. I still have no heat. I turn the temperature knobs in every setting, heat all the way, I get cool air. What is going on?

Friday, December 15th, 2017 AT 4:49 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

When the engine is hot and running grasp each heater hose to see if they are both hot coming out of the fire wall.

Here is a guide that will help as well:

Please run this test and get back to us.

Cheers, Ken

JGONZO2398

Both are fairly warm. I do not really notice much of a difference between either.

JGONZO2398

This was after I had turned off the car and let it sit for a few minutes.

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like you have a thermostat that is out not getting the engine hot enough which will make the heater not work. I would change out the thermostat and retry the problem. Here is a guide that will give you an idea on how to do it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see if that was it.

Cheers, Ken

JGONZO2398

That makes sense, so since the thermostat is stuck on one setting, it means it s only cooling thus why my car hasn t overheated but it isn t heating inside the cabin, right?

JGONZO2398

So I went ahead and bought a new thermostat, thermostat housing and new gasket and gasket silicone sealant, cleaned everything as best as I could, put everything back together, put new antifreeze in the radiator. Still no heat?

EMCGRAIL
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

Heater core replaced
And thermostat replaced
Radiator flush and nothing still no heat in 3-4 years now I need more help

Check for a vacuum leak as it is vacuum motor operated the heat door may not be opening start at engine then to control head. Pic shows vacuum lines item with arrow is for blend door.

DAWNWILDARMS
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

heater blows cold air have flushed system still does not work what should do next.

I need to ask you a question. With the engine running, hot, and the heater on high, do both heater core hoses get hot?

Let me know.

+2
Friday, December 15th, 2017 AT 4:50 PM (Merged)
COSAS10
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

no heat coming out of dash. If I put it on ac setting can get some heat out of vents. Have already flushed radiator, back flushed heat core, replaced t-stat. Some one said it could possible be a vacuum leak, I listened but did not hear any hissing. Could it be a celionoid switch problem in dash or something else.I am stumped.

BMRFIXIT

Check coolant level
Is the car reaching operating temp (if not or engine taking long time to reach operating temp suspect and replace thermostat )
Check heater core hoses if both are hot,
If both hoses hot and not enough heat inside suspect blend door actuator
If one hose hot and the other warm or cold the heater core need to be flushed (very common)
as a 1st step
these are the steps
WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE, USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP FROM A HOT COOLING SYSTEM OR DEGAS BOTTLE. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY UNTIL PRESSURE BEGINS TO RELEASE. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN CERTAIN ALL PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE PRESSURE CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE PRESSURE RELIEF CAP.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
make sure you pinch and close the bypass hose between the two heater hoses
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know

TBAXTER
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

Heater problem
2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72K miles

Very little to no heat. Changed thermostat, back washed core, blower works fine on all speeds. AC seems to work fine. Hoses on hot in & out of the core. Thinking heater box door not opening but not sure? = Temp is fine on gauge. Cold here now!

RENAUDTN

Hi there,

There's a common problem with your car; the blend door breaks. It may be your problem. Your blend door actuator could be the culprit as well.
Here is the link to a website that will explain it all:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Good luck