2001 Ford Taurus Taurus 2001 Cyl 1 misfire

CH155249
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Seems like this is a really common problem for the Taurus from what I'm finding online.

My Taurus just started having this "miss" issue and I took it to my local dealer. They want $800 and say it needs at least new plugs and plug wires and an injector cleaning. I told them to go to hell.

So. How do I do this myself? Apparently, part of the cost is due to the fact you have to remove the intake manifold to get to the plugs on the back side.

First, do you think this is the whole problem? Can you tell me how to get the intake manifold off so that I can replace the plugs and wires? Any special tips or tricks that I need to know about? I've worked on boat engines before but not alot with cars. I can spin a wrench, so it can't be too tuff. Right?

thanks for your help!
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 8:16 PM

BMRFIXIT
I would suspect the coil very common
check the spark plugs 1st and wires
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 8:48 PM
CH155249
Can you tell me what all is involved in changing the plugs and wires? I was told the manifold has to be removd. Is that difficult? I've heard it is only 6 screws but then I've also heard it takes 4 hours. Can't be both!

Thanks!
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 AT 9:48 PM
BMRFIXIT
Engine code will make a difference what do u have for engine code (# 8 in the VIN is it 1 -2-u or s )

3.0L V6 - VIN U & 2 -2001 Ford Taurus SE

Removal (Upper Intake Manifold: 2001 Model Year)
1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. Remove the air cleaner assembly and the air cleaner outlet tube. 2. Remove the pin-type retainers and the snow shield.

3. Disconnect the accelerator cable, speed control actuator cable and the throttle return spring from the throttle body
4. Remove the bolts, then position the accelerator cable bracket aside.
5. Disconnect the vacuum hose. Disconnect the evaporative emissions return tube.

6. Disconnect the idle air control (IAC). Disconnect the throttle position (TP) sensor.

7. Disconnect the engine wiring harness from the intake manifold support bracket.
8. Remove the upper intake manifold support bracket. Remove the bolts. Remove the nut.
9. Disconnect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) tube from the upper intake manifold.
10. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) tube from the EGR valve. Loosen the nut.
11. Disconnect the vacuum tube from the EGR valve.
12. Disconnect the vacuum tube from the upper intake manifold and electronic vacuum regulator (EVR) and disconnect the electrical connector from the EVR.
13. Disconnect the wire harness retaining clip.
14. Disconnect the spark plug holder.
15. Remove the upper intake manifold. Remove the four bolts. Remove the intake manifold.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 5:45 AM