Catalytic converter

LARRYDRV
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
How many catalytic converter does my 01 taurus have. I had one converter replaced and now my mechanic is saying that I need to replace another one?
Thursday, September 17th, 2009 AT 6:53 PM

PEAR69
Your car has two behind each of the exhaust manifolds here is a guide that can help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-exhaust-systems-work

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

+1
Friday, September 18th, 2009 AT 12:23 AM
RALLBROWN
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
One day I was driving my car and out of the blue it started sounding like an motorcycle. I was told that its the catalytic converter since it now gives that smell and the engine light came on. - - Since I have a front and rear catalytic converter and the FRONT one is going bad, can I just replace the front one with an UNIVERSAL catalytic converter and have it welded or clamped on?
Wednesday, October 3rd, 2018 AT 7:38 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
Should be OK but what code(s) same up?
DANIELLESICARD
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Hi, so I discovered recently after my car broke down that someone has installed my spark plugs poorly and they were loose to the touch when we went to check them. We replaced those and are still in the process of fixing the water pump because of a leak. When the car broke down, it made a loud sputtering sort of clanky noise from the passenger side of the car. What I want to know is if lose spark plugs can cause excess fuel to get into he system, and if so could this have caused a failed catalytic converter which was the noise?
Nope. If you bang on the catalytic converter and it rattles inside, the substrate has broken loose. That's a mechanical problem. When a converter fails from too much raw fuel, it becomes so overheated it will turn orange. That's a chemical failure. Neither will be caused by loose spark plugs. At most what could happen is excess air can get sucked in during the intake strokes, and that will cause a lean mixture. There would be insufficient fuel to go with that air so you'd have hesitation or stumbling problems and perhaps reduced power. At first the Engine Computer will see the lean mixture from the oxygen sensors and it will add fuel to the calculations in an attempt to correct the mixture. If that gets bad enough to where the needed correction is beyond the computer's capability, it will set a diagnostic fault code and turn on the Check Engine light.

You didn't say what the breakdown was or involved. The engine will still run with a rattling catalytic converter and loose spark plugs.
DANIELLESICARD
Well, when the car broke down it was during a complete downpour, during which time I had a leak in one of the pipes of my cooling system, it was behind the engine right up against the dash area, so I was using water in the system to save money, (this was in August) I opened the hood at a gas station to make sure of enough water still and to add a little oil, I drove the car about 8 miles further and it misfired and then lost all power so I pulled over. The engine was steaming a rattling sort of fluttering noise was coming from the passenger side of the car right before it stopped. The car starts just fine but idles pretty bad, as I had said we discovers my plugs were extremely lose and my dad assumed that opening my hood got them wet in the downpour and caused the breakdown, the car is still not running well and the exhaust is thicker than most I would say, and the car seems like it is fighting to stay at a decent idle. I have gotten new plugs a new water pump and fixed the leak but I'm not sure what the noise was or what is still wrong with my car. I can only assume I did damage to something else when it broke down? I'm not really sure though. On a side note I forgot to mention that the water system got sluged up from using high iron water in the car which is why we replaced the pump and I now have antifreeze in the system
You didn't cause a problem by opening the hood. Water sprays through the radiator when it's raining. If that were to cause a problem, it's the boots on the spark plug wires that aren't sealing properly.

Before you spend any more money. Have a chemical test performed at the radiator to test for a leaking cylinder head gasket. That involves drawing air from the radiator, while the engine is running, through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially-filled with a special dark blue fluid. If a head gasket is leaking, the fluid will turn bright yellow.
PFOSSELMAN
  • 2001 FORD TAURUSFORD TAURUS
2000 Ford Taurus Sho. 134,000 miles V6. Took car in to a local licensed mechanic that has worked on my cars in the past. Engine was bogging down and mis firing. He called and said it was the catalytic converter, gave me a price of $600 (including labor) to replace it. After he replaced the converter and started the car it was still mis firing, he ended up having to replace 2 ignition coils also and cleared the codes. 4 days later the car is having the same problem that it was took in for. Called the mechanic, took the car back in and he says he wants over $1000 to fix it again because two other cat converter have went out. Took the car to another local licensed mechanic to get a second opinion. This mechanic said it was the catalytic converters and asked if the coils were replaced before he fired up the car with the new converter on it. When I told him no he did not, he informed me that by him not replacing the coils first he fried the other two converters. My question is can this be the reason the other two converters went out 4 days later?
SERVICE WRITER
I think the second two converters were probably on the fringe of going bad already. Perhaps the little extra push after the first was replaced was all it took. If the coils wer caught at the same time as the first converter replacement, it may not have enven mattered. The damage was probably done all the while the coils were bad to begin with, prior to the first cat replacement.
KMASIARCZYK
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Hello, I ran my 98 ford taurus on empty before filling up and ever sence then I have had this problem where the automobile's RPM's will fluctuate. Driving the car in third gear mostly, while driving the car will be doing 45 mph and the rpm will be under 2000 which it should be, then all of a sudden the car will jerk and act like a line is being pinched and then the rpm's will raise to about 2700 doing the same speed. And then it will fluctuate back in forth evey so often. Then it will do that thing where it acts like the lines are getting pinched. I changed the fuel filter and considered haveing the catalytic converters removed but did not do it. Please I need help. Whats wrong?
TAZLOID
I went through the same thing with my son's car. We changed the fuel pump, it had picked up the water and dirt in the bottum of the tank, messed up the screens in the pump and one of the sencers was clogged. We replaced both and now it runs fine.
I hope this helps.
KMASIARCZYK
Thanks alot for replying I appricate it, my dad thinks it is the fuel pump as well.
MELVIN LEAK
  • 1998 FORD TAURUS
Im losting power after 10 to 15 min, had the catalytic converter replace thinking that would fix the problem but didnt help!
Lack of acceleration, chugging, hesitating, bogging etc. Could be caused by one of the following below.

Inspect and test all the following listed below and get back with some results

Oxygen sensor.
Catalytic converter.
Fuel injectors dirty/sticking.
Mass airflow sensor/Airflow meter.
Throttle position sensor.
Manifold absolute pressure sensor.
EGR Valve
Fuel pressure regulator leaking or defective fuel pump.
False air leakage.
Fuel contamination.
Foul/defective spark plugs.
Open spark plug wires.
Ignition coil/Coil packs defective.
Incorrect ignition timing.
Cap and rotor.

Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.