1995 Ford Taurus Car horn problems

• 1 POST
  • 1995 FORD TAURUS

1995 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

My uncle recently gave me his '95 ford taurus, but told me the car horn didn't work. This is my first car, and im not sure how much money I will have to spend to repair it. All electrical works in the interior, (lights, stereo etc.) But the car horn. I think there may be an electrical short in the steering column. What do you think the problem could be?

Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 7:45 PM

• 500 POSTS

You need to do a bit of diagnostic work. Find the horns - located on the lower left of the radiator support. Disconnect the wires. Attach a test light from the wires to ground. While watching the test light, have a helper to try the horn. If the light lights up, the horns are bad. If the light does NOT light up, then you meed to do more checking.

Start with the fuse. It is #12 in the interior fuse panel.

Fuse OK? Then check the horn relay. Located under the center of the dash.

If everything is OK, the last thing is the clockspring in the steering column. This is not a DIY job, and should be taken to someone with experience. That is also the most expensive part of the system.

Wednesday, September 30th, 2009 AT 7:07 AM