Parking lights and dash lights not working

ALLENKALE
  • 2005 FORD RANGER
When I start my truck in the morning, I turn on the lights but the parking lights and dash lights wont come on until I either hit the steering wheel or open and slam the door shut or hit the dash and when they do come on then the horn wont work. I was thinking a fuse but they are all good or maybe the ground, but where would I look for the ground if that would be the problem?
Al
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 8:16 PM

DAVE H
Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

you will need to check the park lamp relay in smart junction box behind right side of dash .. let me know

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_smart_1.jpg

-1
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 8:29 AM
ALLENKALE
Ok I took off the panel and all I see are fuses and I check the owners manual and it doesnt show a park lamp relay and I looked for it online and cant even find a picture of it to know what to look for?
Al
+2
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 1:09 PM
DAVE H
I also cannot find a diagram of this junction box ... while i am trying to locate one please check fuses #1 and # 31 in the same junction box also if you can see it, the ground for thse circuits which is located under front centre of console ?

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_ranger_4.jpg

-1
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 2:45 PM
ADAMS24
  • 2004 FORD RANGER
My truck has no power when the key is inserted. No dash lights come on. The battery has a green light on it so I think its still ok. What could it be?
Monday, January 13th, 2020 AT 8:41 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Recheck the battery
check battery terminal
check fuses
I would suspect battery

need manual CHECK IT @
https://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm
JONATHANMCDANIEL2109
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
Hey my problem is my dash lights wil periodically go off to were I can not see my speed ometer or rpm gauge. My lights for my heat and air go of also what do I need to do. Thanks
+1
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Might be a loose connection, check wiring at headlamp switch and also at fuse box.
+1
RANGER78
  • 2001 FORD RANGER
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge with a 3.0L engine. The lights on my instrument panel went out this week along with the lights for my heating and A/C unit. The fog lights and parking lights are also out the headlights, brake and turn signal lights all continue to work. No fuses are blown and I replaced and checked all the lights in my instrument cluster to no avail. Whats wrong with my lights?
Monday, January 13th, 2020 AT 8:42 PM (Merged)
RACEFAN966
Ok first I need you to check fuse number 11 it is a 7.5 amp, it is in the central fuse box behind the left (drivers) side of dash. If this fuse is good then I need to know if you have a digital multi meter so we can look at the instrument cluster dimmer and dimming module, this on the top left side of dash. If you have meter I need you to check the brown wire going to it. With the lights on does this wire have voltage? Also the ground for the instrument cluster is below the left front seat make sure it is good and secure. Get back to me and we will take it from there.
+1
RANGER78
Ive already checked that fuse and it seemed to be fine I'm going to check that brown wire and the ground and I'll get back to you. Thanks
+1
RACEFAN966
Ok great let me know what you find and we will go from there.
BIKER636
  • 2001 FORD RANGER
How can I replace the dashboard lights? I can't find a way to get to them.
IMPALASS
Hello -

I believe this is what you are looking for. You will have to remove the dash cluster to remove and replace the bulbs.

ILLUMINATION & INDICATOR BULBS
Removal & Installation
Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. Remove instrument panel illumination or indicator bulb by turning socket and bulb counterclockwise. To install, reverse removal procedure.
PRINTED CIRCUIT
Removal & Installation
1. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. Remove instrument cluster gauge amplifier. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER GAUGE AMPLIFIER.
2. Remove all instrument panel illumination and indicator bulbs by turning each bulb counterclockwise. Remove gauges. See GAUGES.
3. Remove 19 instrument gauge harness connector clips using long-nose pliers. Squeeze both sides of clip equally so locking ears pass through opening in instrument cluster case. Be careful not to overbend or distort clips. DO NOT reuse instrument gauge clips.
4. Ease instrument cluster printed circuit up and off locating pins and remove from case. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW instrument gauge clips.

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
CAUTION: Instrument cluster light bulbs are pressurized and may shatter if improperly handled. Wear eye protection when replacing instrument cluster light bulbs.
Removal & Installation
1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove 2 screws from center instrument panel finish panel and pull out center instrument panel finish panel. Remove radio. Disconnect electrical harness connectors. Remove hood latch release handle and cable from instrument panel steering column cover.
2. Remove 2 screws and instrument panel steering column cover. Remove 4 screws and instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement. Position column gear shift lever aside (if equipped). Remove 3 screws and pull out cluster finish panel. Disconnect electrical harness connectors and remove cluster finish panel.
3. Remove 4 instrument cluster screws. Pull out instrument cluster and remove transmission range indicator (if equipped with automatic transmission). Disconnect electrical harness connectors and remove instrument cluster. To install, reverse removal procedure.

GAUGES
CAUTION: If gauges are being removed from cluster assembly, DO NOT remove gauge pointer. Magnetic gauges cannot be recalibrated.
NOTE: Fuel gauge and instrument cluster gauge amplifier are calibrated together and cannot be serviced separately.
Removal & Installation
Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. Remove instrument cluster gauge amplifier from back of instrument cluster. Remove 7 screws, instrument cluster lens and mask assembly from instrument cluster. Remove appropriate instrument gauge clips. DO NOT reuse instrument gauge clips. Outside gauge assemblies must be removed before center gauge assembly. Gently remove desired gauge block by grasping outside edges of gauge and lifting. To install, reverse removal procedure using NEW instrument gauge clips.
RANGER78
So it turns out that it was the headlight switch. There must have been some sort of short part of the switch had melted. I replaced the switch and everything is working again the only thing is that there is a little green light on the swith that is always on now (while the truck is running). I'm not sure if thats the way it's supposed to be?
+3
RACEFAN966
Ok nothing say's what the green light is for so I will do some more searching. I do have a couple of questions however. Does your truck have fog lights? Do you have DRL (day time running lights)? Get back to me on that in the mean time I will look for why that light is on.
+1
RANGER78
My truck does have fog lights but no DRLs. The green light is actually an LED attached to the switch assembly itself. It is used to light up little symbols on the instrument panel that indicate wether I have no lights parking lights or my headlights on.
+1
RACEFAN966
It looks like the gem module might be telling it to come on as this controls all the lighting. Is the led on all the time or just when the key is on?
+2
KJGAL
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
The dashboards only light up halfay so all I can see is half of the speedometer and hardly anything else on the dashboard.
+2
RANGER78
Only when the key is on.
Check for weak grounds, check headlight switch, check bulbs, check for loose connections under dash.

Sponsored links