2002 Ford Ranger Throw out bearing

DANNY HILL
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
How do I know if a throw out bearing is going out. My truck has been making noises when it is in gear. Chattering sounds in first second and third gear. Seems to quit in 4th but comes back in 5th. Is this a throwout bearing or is it the transmission. I might have a fluid clutch, how do I check this? Barb
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 10:09 AM

BILLYMAC
Hi barb. Yes it could be a throw out brng. The simpleist way to tell is to listen carefully we use a stephascope for this but with the truck idleing in neutral put your foot on the clutch and just barely move your foot to engage and disengage clutch listen does the noise change when you do this? If yes throwout brng is bad if no a trans brng or even worn gears in trans. But honestly most of these trucks will make this noise when they get a few miles on them. So prob not an emergency just a prob down the road. But make suree the trans is full of fluid. Hope this helped billymac
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 9:28 PM
CRAIGFER
Hi Barb, Billymac is on the right track, and I would also replace the trans fluid with 15w-40 engine oil or synthetic 50W Transmission gear oil. We use the 50W in all of our manual transmissions here at International Truck and have had very good results with it. It keeps the gears lubricated well and they run quietly. Ford uses ATF in there transmissions and I believe this is too thin a oil for the heat they work under. Try this as it has helped quiet trans noises. I did this on my Ranger and it made it run smooth and quiet. Craigfer
Saturday, February 10th, 2018 AT 10:56 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Monday, February 12th, 2018 AT 11:49 AM