1999 Ford Ranger Heater is blowing cold air all the sudden.

FORDRANGERMUSTANGGUY
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
My truck is well taken care and runs well.
Back in 2004 the original thermostat was replaced because it stuck closed and was causing an overheating problem.
Tonight when I drove my truck I turned the heat on and it blew out cold air only and the temperature gauge was showing in the normal range and took the normal amount of time to get to where it was. So I am thinking it may not be the thermostat this time. What else could it be?
Sunday, February 10th, 2008 AT 11:13 PM

BLACKOP555
There are a few things that can be causing that. best thign to do is warm the vehicle up then go under the hood and feel both heater core hoses, what do ya' find.

Are both hot?
one hot and one warm?
One hot and one cold?
Neither hot?
or both just warm?

Usually this is a blend door issue.
See the guide below on heater not working for some ideas of what to look at

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working
+1
Monday, February 11th, 2008 AT 7:03 AM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Not getting any heat to the cab
Tuesday, October 9th, 2018 AT 5:11 PM (Merged)
Check both hoses for being hot if they are check actutator in heater also check for vacuum leaks, diagram attached
-1
Also if temp dblend door cable operated check for broken cable
SAMBO1
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
When I turn the AC/Heat select switch to Heater the AC compressor kicks on and blows cold air. I replaced the switch and did not fix the problem. The blower works ok and the vacumn switch to distribute the air works ok. Do I need to replace the rotary temp control? Thanks for your help. Freezing in TEXAS ! Sambo
Heater blows cold air

Try checking the thermostat, heater core and heater control valve
-1
KEVINV
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
When I first start up in the morning, it takes a while for the engine to warm up and for warm air to start blowing out of the vents
I usually have to drive about 2-3 miles or so before the temp gauage gets to where it normally is a and the air coming from the vents then abrubptly goes from cold to warm
I have tried letting the engine warm up for 10 minutes on idle before driving but that didn't mak much difference
The termp guage also goes up and then drops back down before the warm air comes out during this 2-3 mile jaunt
It works better in the afternoon evening when I leave work to go home
Once the warm air starts coming out, it works fine
What could this be and will it be expensive?
What if I don't do anything for now and live with it. Will I create a worse condition?
KHLOW2008
Hi kevinv,

Get the thermostat checked. Seems it is stuck open resulting in the delay in warming up.
THEAMERICAN1983
  • 1997 FORD RANGER
My heater blows regular air. Its not hot at all. What do I do?By the way its a 97 ford ranger 4 cylinder
BMRFIXIT
Check coolant level
Is the car reaching operating temp
Check heater core hoses if both are hot,
if both hoses hot and not enough heat inside suspect blend door actuator
if not one hose hot and the other warm or cold the heater core need to be flushed (very common)
as a 1st step
these are the steps
Warning: never remove the pressure relief cap under any conditions while the engine is operating. Failure to follow these instructions could result in damage to the cooling system or engine and/or personal injury. To avoid having scalding hot coolant or steam blow out of the cooling system or degas bottle, use extreme care when removing the pressure relief cap from a hot cooling system or degas bottle. Wait until the engine has cooled, then wrap a thick cloth around the pressure relief cap and turn it slowly until pressure begins to release. Step back while the pressure is released from the cooling system. When certain all pressure has been released, press down on the pressure cap (still with a cloth), turn and remove pressure relief cap.
Engine cool
lower the coolant level
Locate the two hoses running to the heater core
disconnect them at the engine side leaving hoses connected to heater core throw the firewall
use garden water hose and compressed air if possible
run the water and follow by air throw one side and out the other and vice versa
do that two to three times watching what leaving the heater core you are looking for the good flow and clear water to run throw
reconnect hoses
top off coolant system
good luck
let me know
+1
SHOE84
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
Heater problem
2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

when in heat mode it only blows room temperature air when driving but once I stop for a few a couple of minutes it starts blowing cold air until I start driving again
Check the thermostat and coolant level
WSTOKES
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
Changed thermostat, checked vacuum lines, only one heater hose feels hot
FIXITMR
Sounds like plugged core. Try a backflush.
BLACK JACK DC
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
The system only blows cold air. I have been told to change the thermostat, water pump, heater control valve, climate control switch. I removed the glove compartment and found the air temperature control door operates like it is suppose to.

Please help
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model the Ranger or Ranger Splash and what is the engine size in liter?

Did this just happen or have you been slowly loosing heat

How is the engine temp gauge look. Normal operating range?

Once the engine is at operating temperature please feel the heater hoses going into and out of the firewall. Do they both feel the same. Both hot or is one colder than the other?
BLACK JACK DC
The model is a Ranger Splash, 4.0 Liter engine, 95000 miles and this situation just happened. I had heat a few days ago. I just turned the temperature down a little, now it will not go back up. The temp gauge is normal, and both hoses connected to the heater core are hot.
IMPALASS
Hello -

Thanks for the info.

So is this the same with the fan speed in any setting?

How does the AC feel. Does it feel the same temperature. What I am looking for here is to see if there is a temperature difference. You select full cold yet the same warm air. You select hot. The same warm air.

You said the temperature control door was moving as it should. So you select hot and the door moves all the way. Cold. It moves the opposite way all the way
BLACK JACK DC
The temperature is the same at any fan speed. I am mistaken about the temperature control door, I found out it is not operating at all. If this is the same as the "blend" door, what do I need to do to get this back operational?

+1
BIGG_E_N_AUSTIN
  • 1998 FORD RANGER
My 98 ranger has no heat at all. I've checked the gate, fluid level, and the truck is running at a normal temp. The heater control valve vacuum line has no vacuum on it no matter what the temp control is set at. I've tried manually opening the heater control valve and still no heat. Where does the line connect to once it runs inside the firewall? What would cause the line to lose its suction? How can I test the temp selector knob?