1999 Ford Ranger 4WD lights flashing

• 1 POST
  • 1999 FORD RANGER

1999 Ford Ranger V6 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 134000 miles

Periodically, the 4wd hi and lo lights will flash 6 times then go off and will keep repeating until the truck is shut off and not restarted for a while. While the lights are flashing, the 4wd will not work. If they're not flashing it works fine. It seems as though it does it more frequently when it snows. I've already replaced a hub assembly thinking that was the problem, but it didn't.

Saturday, December 8th, 2007 AT 2:22 PM

• 17 POSTS

This problem sucks hah well I have 98 ranger with same problem but I think I may know what is wrong but as for us, we will just have to work this out ourself because noone on here is any help and barely ever will reply but im here to help. But mine does the same thing and I found out that behind the dash is a 4x4 silinoid and if you remove stereo you will find it stashed below stereo on the left side way down in dash its the only way to get to it tho, but I figured out that if you put it in 4x4 it engages all nice and everything but when I go to remove it from 4x4 it will sit their and click and if you let it sit and click about 3 to 4 maybe 5 times that is when the problem accures and no 4x4 action at all and flashing lights but so far if you engage 4x4 with all noise down listen for clicking behind dash and just dont let it sit and click just try it and if it clicks more that 3 times put it back in 4 and try disengaging again till it dis engages before it clicks 3 to 4 times or so but I did try to replace it and it worked fine for day or too and then I had the same problem but I got a used part so im not sure if the new one I tried was even good so im waitin to get money to buy new one then ill get back to ya wit what I find but til then I also want to chek the conector on the motor located on transfercase because to me it seems like a wire or short problem because sometimes it disengages fine and others it will take a while so im thinking the conector on the motor underneath truck for 4x4 is corroded or something but so far I havent had time so ill get back to ya but I would look at that silinoid and maybe try replacing it if you can and you might just be able to help me haha alright well get back to me please if you figure it out thanks

Tuesday, December 11th, 2007 AT 1:04 AM