1997 FORD RANGER TIMING BELT POSITION

• joemag7
  • 1997 Ford Ranger

1997 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I changed my timing belt very recently, I have very good mechanical knowledge, I just need the experience of an expert.

With all the timing marks in place I get a constant "ticking" when I run the engine.

I assume my timing belt is off by a notch in one direction or the other;

Is there any way to know which direction to adjust the belt?

Is the oil pump pulley orientation as critical as the crankshaft and camshaft orientation?

I assume I need to adjust the camshaft pulley only a single timing belt notch clockwise or counterclockwise, and this is where I need an experts advise?

Thank You

Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 10:36 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Ensure that the timing marks are set exactly as per diagram, and when re installing the tensioner do not over tension belt, check that tensioner bearing is OK as well.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/61395_ford_timing_mark_1.jpg

mark (mhpautos)

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 4:18 AM
  • joemag7

Thanks for your expertise and for you taking the time to answer my question.
It really does mean a lot for an expert to donate his knowledge to a free site such as this, and trust me and guys lacking money in this difficult time everywhere that it is really appreciated.

In response now; I had to get rid of the timing belt cover all together.
I did my best to transfer the rear cover marks to something else behind it and lined everything up from there.

Unfortunately my fat sharpie marks may have left a little room for error,
So is there anyway to know which direction to adjust the camshaft pulley?
And is the oil pump pulley okay to have off by possibly a single notch of the timing belt?

Thanks, Joe

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 8:04 PM
  • mhpautos

Hi there,

We don't have this car or engine here in Australia, so I will do the best I can, as for the oil pump timing I would think that as it does have a timing make it must be critical, with the oil pump at 12.O'Clock this should not be a problem to get correct, and the cam mark is 6 teeth back from 6.00 O'Clock this should also be fairly easy to set up, failing that you may have to get a good second hand cover, also try cleaning the marks off and high light them with a white marker pen, wipe the excess off and the mark should remain highlighted,

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 2:37 AM
  • joemag7

Thanks mhp for your advice, and it's funny you should mention your highlighting method because I did do exactly that except with a yellow paint marker I had around.

I guess now my option is to look very closely at the marks again and if perhaps one of them was halfway to one side or the other.

Thanks again

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010 AT 3:34 PM