Stuck in gear after shifter removed

DAVID_NISMO
  • 1997 FORD RANGER

Transmission problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 185, 00 miles

After successfully changing the clutch we re-installed the shifter only to find we were stuck in gear.

My buddy removed the shifter without placing it in neutral first, it was still in 4th gear.

Assuming this is the problem: How do we get the shift pegs and levers back into the right position in order to re-install properly.

We're pretty sure we've installed it into the correct receptacle. How can we know for certain that it is.

This is an unusual transmission for me. When we removed shift lever and plate we can see right into the inner workings of the transmission. I'm used to seeing the shifter, on RWD vehicles, going into two rods that then travel into the transmission's guts.

Here on this tranny, we can see the many different toggle switches, dents, and levers. Could we have bumped something out of position when removing or installing that needs to be moved back before replacing?

I hope to get off work early and will try to upload a couple pictures for you. Please say in touch.

We foolishly left the small plate unbolted. Once the shift lever plate was secured firmly to the transmission. That minimal amount of added slop, maybe 1/4" was just enough to keep us from shifting entirely out of 4th.

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 9:18 AM

2CARPROS KEN

What gear it is in when you remove the shifter doesn't really matter. You need to be sure the ball on the end of the shifter is going into the correct receptacle in the trans. It should work if installed correctly.

It sound like you got the clutch disc in backwards not letting the clutch dis-engage. This happens when the clutch disc falls apart as well

Here is a guide to help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-clutch

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

Friday, March 31st, 2017 AT 2:53 PM

Related Transmission Gear Selector Stuck Content

Recommended guides