STUCK IN GEAR AFTER SHIFTER REMOVED

1997 Ford Ranger

David_NISMO

February, 24, 2009 AT 9:18 AM

1997 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 185, 00 miles

After successfully changing the clutch we re-installed the shifter only to find we were stuck in gear.

My buddy removed the shifter without placing it in neutral first, it was still in 4th gear.

Assuming this is the problem: How do we get the shift pegs and levers back into the right position in order to re-install properly.

Jack42

February, 25, 2009 AT 7:58 AM

Honestly what gear it is in when you remove hteshifter doesnt really matter. You need to be sure the ball on the end of the shifter is going into the correct receptacle in the trans. It should work if installed correctly

David_NISMO

February, 25, 2009 AT 9:06 AM

Well, we're pretty sure we've installed it into the correct receptacle. How can we know for certain that it is.

This is an unusual transmission for me. When we removed shift lever and plate we can see right into the inner workings of the transmission. I'm used to seeing the shifter, on RWD vehicles, going into two rods that then travel into the transmission's guts.

Here on this tranny, we can see the many different toggle switches, dents, and levers. Could we have bumped something out of position when removing or installing that needs to be moved back before replacing?

I hope to get off work early and will try to upload a couple pictures for you. Please say in touch.

Jack42

February, 25, 2009 AT 9:29 AM

A pic would be great. Hopefully you didnt remove too much and now the shifting mechanism is out of whack

David_NISMO

February, 25, 2009 AT 11:14 AM

Thanks for the help. We got her figured out!

Jack42

March, 1, 2009 AT 8:59 AM

What was it.

David_NISMO

March, 5, 2009 AT 12:44 PM

We foolishly left the small plate unbolted. Once the shift lever plate was secured firmly to the transmission we regained the ability to shift.

That minimal amount of added slop, maybe 1/4" was just enought to keep us from shifting entirely out of 4th.

Thanks for the response!

Jack42

March, 5, 2009 AT 3:04 PM

Good find

Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service