1997 FORD RANGER STUCK IN GEAR AFTER SHIFTER REMOVED

• David_NISMO
  • 1997 Ford Ranger

1997 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 185, 00 miles

After successfully changing the clutch we re-installed the shifter only to find we were stuck in gear.

My buddy removed the shifter without placing it in neutral first, it was still in 4th gear.

Assuming this is the problem: How do we get the shift pegs and levers back into the right position in order to re-install properly.

Tuesday, February 24th, 2009 AT 9:18 AM

• Jack42

Honestly what gear it is in when you remove hteshifter doesnt really matter. You need to be sure the ball on the end of the shifter is going into the correct receptacle in the trans. It should work if installed correctly

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 7:58 AM
  • David_NISMO

Well, we're pretty sure we've installed it into the correct receptacle. How can we know for certain that it is.

This is an unusual transmission for me. When we removed shift lever and plate we can see right into the inner workings of the transmission. I'm used to seeing the shifter, on RWD vehicles, going into two rods that then travel into the transmission's guts.

Here on this tranny, we can see the many different toggle switches, dents, and levers. Could we have bumped something out of position when removing or installing that needs to be moved back before replacing?

I hope to get off work early and will try to upload a couple pictures for you. Please say in touch.

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 9:06 AM
  • Jack42

A pic would be great. Hopefully you didnt remove too much and now the shifting mechanism is out of whack

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 9:29 AM
  • David_NISMO

Thanks for the help. We got her figured out!

Wednesday, February 25th, 2009 AT 11:14 AM
  • Jack42

What was it.

Sunday, March 1st, 2009 AT 8:59 AM
  • David_NISMO

We foolishly left the small plate unbolted. Once the shift lever plate was secured firmly to the transmission we regained the ability to shift.

That minimal amount of added slop, maybe 1/4" was just enought to keep us from shifting entirely out of 4th.

Thanks for the response!

Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM
  • Jack42

Good find

Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 3:04 PM