Shuts off while driving

POKECHOP35
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
My 93 ranger w/280000 miles will just shut down like it has been turned off. If you don't turn off the switch afterward it won't start back up. It will just turn over and over. Turn off the switch and try, it will usually crank right up. My daily commute is about 20 miles each way. Sometimes it doesn't do it but sometimes it will do it 4 or 5 times in a 20 mile stretch. I changed out the fuel relays put a new ignition module on it new plugs and wires, alternator, starter. When it quits, if you try to restart it w/o turning off the switch you can smell the exhaust. I've had the fuel pump checked and it is okay. Recently it has started backfiring after you try to restart it.
Friday, December 4th, 2009 AT 3:34 PM

BIGJIM79

This sounds like an PCM relay is overheating and shutting down check the relay to see if it is hot which is an indication for failure.

Here is a guide to help you test it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here is the relay location.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 AT 1:43 AM
POKECHOP35
You nailed it I checked out the relay after driving for a bit and it was super hot so I replaced it have not had the problem since. Thanks I love this site.
Friday, December 18th, 2009 AT 1:03 AM