NEW IGNITION PARTS BUT STILL NO SPARK

Ford Mustang

jesse1986

August, 17, 2006 AT 11:55 PM

I have an 82 ford mustang with a 200 inline 6 I rebuilt my motor and put it back in about a month ago and have still not been able to get a spark out of it I have replaced the battery, coil, stator, ignition module, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and the solonoid the only thing I havent replaced is the voltage regulator but I would think that would have anything to do with the spark I have checked my grounds and I dont see a problem with them there are a few empty pulgs still but I dont have anything to plug into them everything else on the car works just fine but I have no spark also if anything if anyone know how to wire it up to a switch and start but please let me know so I can try that some please let me know something anything is helpful at this point

jesse1986

August, 18, 2006 AT 3:42 PM

Forgot to say that I have no spark out of my coil it dosent make it to the distributor

NOS

August, 20, 2006 AT 11:52 AM

I belive the wire going to the coil is red posible with a green strip make sure you have power to that wire. If not trace that wire down to find out why not. Once you get power there it shoud run.I'am fairly sure that wire is resisted wire( key may be where they plug in at the fender) hope this helps. (NOS)

jesse1986

August, 20, 2006 AT 12:45 PM

I do have power going to my coil

NOS

August, 20, 2006 AT 1:04 PM

Is the module a silver box on the finder or doesit mount on the distributor. Change the pick up coil down inside the distributor that is what acts as the points and makes the coil fire (NOS)

jesse1986

August, 20, 2006 AT 1:18 PM

Yeah and I replaced both of them already

NOS

August, 20, 2006 AT 1:26 PM

I know this sounds funny but have you pulled the cap off and checked to see it the rotor was turning. To make sure that the drive is not messed up? And it is very posible that some of the parts you got are no good I do this kinda work 5 days a week and run into that a lot.

jesse1986

August, 20, 2006 AT 1:45 PM

Yeah the rotor turns and that is what im about to do is replace the parts again to see if maybe some of the new ones are no good and sould my voltage regulator get hot could that have something to do with it

NOS

August, 20, 2006 AT 1:59 PM

Bud it is up to you but the regulator just takes care of the charging of the system doesn't have anything to do with the fire of the coil think I would check the plugs where they connect the harness together going to the engine have seen some problems there before but don't rule out the module that is a down right shame today that we get so many bad parts but it does happen all so often i'll stay on this with you. Try not to let you down. I work on cars five days a week ans see a lot os strange things happen (NOS)if you have msn messanger this is my email and we can do a mic chat if you want DSR_Phantom@hotmail. Com

Mikeybdman

August, 20, 2006 AT 7:13 PM

Lets say that all of the parts you have replaced were not the problem. What does that leave? With the information you gave, the coil has power, but is not firing. The firing signal comes from the Ignition Module that has been replaced. It knows when to send the signal by the magnetic pick up in the distributor. It looks like that signal is also sent to the Tachometer (if installed), so a good test of that would be to see if the tach looks like it is moving at all. I would think with a fully charged battery, you should be able to see some rotation on the tach if the signal is being sent to the coil. If you do see a signal, or rotation being shown on the tach, then I would suspect a bad coil. If not, a bad magnetic pickup or ignition module.
Good luck

Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz