HIGH RPM

Ford Mustang

bttf11985

September, 30, 2007 AT 1:41 AM

I have a 91 mustang GT 5.0 with 175,000 miles. I cleaned up my throttle body on the inside. When I give the car more than 80% throttle the rpms will stay at 1000 in drive and 1300 in park. Then when I turn the car off and let it sit for a couple of hrs and then drive it the rpms will be fine as long as I dont exceed 80% throttle It has been like this for a couple of months I was just making sure I dont acclerate 2 much so the rpms wont be at 1000. The car idles ok 750 rpm but as soon as I give the car any gas it stays at 1000 rpm and wont go back down to 750. I have replaced the throttle bypass valve. Thank you for any help!

merlin2021

September, 30, 2007 AT 7:38 AM

Check the cable, can be frayed insde. And the TPS for binding. BTW what did you clean the throttle with? The Fords have a teflon coating, and any harsh solvents can destroy it!

bttf11985

September, 30, 2007 AT 4:44 PM

How would I go about checking both? When I unscrew the tps I see plastic shavings on the inside of the sensor and also where it screws to on the throttle body and when I turn the sensor it has tention and springs back into place. What I have also noticed is that when I put my foot on the pedel it is kinda stuck so I have to push a lil harder. This useually only happens when I start to first drive. The throttle I had my brother port and polish it is that Good/Bad?

merlin2021

September, 30, 2007 AT 6:12 PM

Do you mean port and polihed the intake manifold?
If the gas pedal sticks, it's a good indication U should replace the cabe, As for the TPS If it has plastic bits inside it probably NG! Do em both. Get a manual or read how to install the new TPS!

bttf11985

September, 30, 2007 AT 9:02 PM

Thanks for the help fixed the problem just took the sensor back out and installed how the book said I didnt turn it counter-clockwise

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars