F250 REPLACING SERPENTINE BELT

2004 Ford F-250

wandrnstar

December, 18, 2007 AT 5:38 PM

Engine problem
2004 Ford F250 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 61,890 miles

I have to replace the altenator. Taking it off was easy. Now I am trying to get the new one on and put the serpentine belt back on. The engine is so crowded I cannot find the tensioner. Where is it on this engine? 6.0L Turbo deisel.

Thanks,
Vin

Changing Drive Belt

blackop555

December, 18, 2007 AT 7:25 PM

Their should be a belt routing diagram in the owners manual or under the hood somewhere that will show you specific locations.

flexy5

December, 18, 2007 AT 9:18 PM

" By the book" you are suppose to remove the upper fan shroud. On the older 6.0 you had to cut it at a certain groove on either side of the shroud (BRILLIANT!). However, at the dealership, we implemented a shortcut. It's not the greatest way to do it, but it saves 2 hours of time. The belt tensioner is on the passenger side, towards the bottom/middle of the engine cover. If you slide a prybar down, you can push down on the tensioner. DO NOT PRY AGAINST OTHER THINGS! It may take two people to get the job done, but we were able to change a belt on a 6.0 in about 6 minutes flat. Let me know if you have any questions.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour