2003 Ford F-250 belt tensioner

PGANGI
  • 2003 FORD F-250
How to remove drive belt. I cannont get room to put tool on tensioner. The clip lock on the tensioner is not working
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 8:42 AM

MERLIN2021
I use two combination wrenches hooked together to get enough leverage to hold the tensioner while I slip the belt off, and back on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_wrenches_12.jpg

Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 10:12 AM
PGANGI
Thank you for the info. Could you please answer the question?I already know the answer, another site was able to help me. I just want to get my moneys worth.
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 2:46 PM
MERLIN2021
Tis is how I do it if the room is tight, on a rear drive like yours, it's fairly simple. I thought I did answer your question, so I don';t understand the "getting your money's worth" Statement. Serp belt and tensioner is basic stuff, so what is the problem getting the belt off? No leverage? Not accessible? All you do is turn the bolt on the tensioner with some force, this will unwind the tension and allow the removal of the belt. To install it, there is a tool available to put the belt on the lower pulleys if you cant reach them, it's a thin bar with a hook on it.
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 4:08 PM
PGANGI
Never mind. The special tool will not work since the 1/2 drive slot is recessed. So you have to use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter with a ratchet and a piece of pipe on the ratchet for leverage and it fits in the tight spot on the vehicle I described. This was the answer to the question not here is a picture of how to put 2 wrenches together to gain more leverage. On top of that you never addressed the clip on the tensioner on this vehicle, which by the way is a short cut, if it works, so that yo do not have to uses any wrencehses at all. Now you can answer the next guy's question that is the same as mine with a bit more intelligence.
Later
Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 7:24 PM
MERLIN2021
I have never had to use pipe to change a belt. And you can put a wrench on the bolt on the tensioner pulley. Good luck with your intelligent answer.
Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 2:23 AM