1996 Ford F-150 1996 Ford 150 oxygen sensor

ELIMILLSAP
  • 1996 FORD F-150
I have a 1996 f-150 4.9 I6 with 113000 miles. It has two o2 sensors up stream. 1 on the headers of the first 3 cyclinders and 1 on the header of the last 3 cyclinders. I got the first sensor replaced and tried to replace the second but in doing so stripped the bolt. I am not planning on keeping the truck very much longer. Can I hard wire the second sensor into the first and make the light go off? Ie pass emmisons test? This is all assuming that it is second sensor in there now is shot and engine is fine.
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 5:11 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
First of all why are you replacing them? Any codes?
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 5:27 PM
ELIMILLSAP
Yeah the code said the upstream oxygen sensor failed.I forget which bank but I know it was up stream. I have been driving on it for about 10,000 miles.I know bad thing. I have to get it fixed before I can get another sticker. If I have to sink to much money to get it fixed I am going to face the inevitable and get a new vehichle.
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 5:56 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Well you already have the o2 sensor right. Id bring it to a local independant repair shop. I dont care how stripped it is I can replace any o2 sensor in an hour. We(independant repair shops) deal with broken stripped stuff all the time. Youd be surprised how fast it can be fixed by a mechanic thats done it a hundred times already. Give it a shot. Tell them up front you dont want to pay more than an hour labor. Your garage should do it. If they dont go to the next one, someone will want your business, trust me. Let us know how you make out.
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 6:06 PM
ELIMILLSAP
Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 6:18 PM
ELIMILLSAP
Welll I got it into the mechanic. It ended up taking 2 hours to replace but I can live with that. They ended up havin to heat it up first. But in doing so screwed up the threads on the header. Then they retaped the hole. The good news the truck seems to be runing better than it ever has! Anyways thanks for the advice.

-Eli
Sunday, January 13th, 2008 AT 9:10 AM