1988 Ford F-150 very hard to start

TLCSILL
  • 1988 FORD F-150
I have to turn key and give gas for more than 30 seconds until truck finally fires. Once it fires I have to give a little gas for a minute and then it runs fine. It has new plugs wire and distributor cap and button all replaced within last month. I do not think it is fuel because the bleeder valve on the fuel rail is getting gas to it. My friend suggested my timing could be off but I am not certain bad timing would create this problem.
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 6:11 PM

Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Will the truck start quickly with starting fluid? Does the truck run good after you get it going? Is there any chance of a fuel leak?
+2
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 12:40 AM
TLCSILL
I will try the starting fluid this evening to see if it fires quickly with it. Once it is started it runs good. I don;t think there is a fuel leak. I am not sure if I hear the fuel pump pressuring nut I think it is operating correctly.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 5:11 AM
TLCSILL
I checked to hear fuel pump again this morning and I do hear it. It is only for a second but I believe it is pressurizing I will try starting fluid just to see what I may discover.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 5:57 AM
I would recommend checkng the pump pressure and pressure drop off when the key is off.

Here is a how to for checking it.

https://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Pay attention to how quickly the pressure drops when the key is turned off.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 3:57 PM

Sponsored links