Overdrive light

JEANEH
  • FORD EXPLORER
1996 ford explorer 4x4 69,000 miles
check engine light came on and overdrive light keeps blinking. Won't shift into high gear. All fluids are fine. Was shifting perfect before.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 9:00 PM

INDYUKE
Since the check engine light came on, the vechicle's computer has set a code or several codes. Are you able to scan the computer for codes.
Sunday, December 24th, 2006 AT 4:13 PM
JEANEH
How do you scan computer
Sunday, December 24th, 2006 AT 6:30 PM
JEANEH
Took explorer to aamco for free computer scan. They said input and output sensors on transmission weren't even and they also received signal from transmisson selinoid. They want to take it out and take it apart and check it out. Don't have the money for that. Any ideas?
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006 AT 1:57 PM
INDYUKE
You mentioned that the trannsmission was shifting fine before. Did anything unusual happen while driving that would indicate a problem just before the check engine light came on and the overdrive light started flashing. Strange noises? Tranny overheating? Towing a large load? Trouble going into 4x4? It seems unlikely that a vehicle with barely 70,000 miles would blow a tranny.

You may have a bad shifting solenoid.
Wednesday, December 27th, 2006 AT 8:37 PM
JEANEH
I've had the explorer since may 2006. I've never towed anything or driven it in 4x4. Nothing seemed any different no noises nothing. I drive it mostly to work and when I can I visit my family who lives two hours away. I basically drive it like a car.
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 5:34 AM
HEAVYDUTY
Chances are that the transmission was slipping and the computer put it in safe mode, it will probably need to come out to be fixed.I recommend an actual transmission repair shop look at it
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 8:57 PM
JEANEH
Does anyone know if you can change the shifting selinoid without removing the transmisson? Not sure where the selinoid is. Thanks
Saturday, December 30th, 2006 AT 10:16 AM