Ford 1991 Explorer Won't Go Forward In Drive

SHANNONPC
  • 1991 FORD EXPLORER
:cry: Ok. I just purchased a 1991 Ford Explorer with 174,000 miles on it. New engine has 35,000 miles on it. Just bought it last night, and ran fine during the test drive. Today, I was in a parking lot, and I put it in drive, and it just sat there, wouldn't move forward for approximately 30 seconds. Then it kicked into gear and went. Then when I got home, let it sit for awhile, went back out to leave, car was pointing uphill, it again wouldn't move. Not quite sure if tires were moving, but smoke was coming up from somewhere under the car passenger side rear. It felt as if I were on ice and couldn't get the car to move. Took over a minute of me giving it gas to kick it into gear. I am afraid to drive it now, and have no idea what the deal is. I am assuming tranny, but why would it have ran fine during test drive and start the problem now?
Wednesday, October 18th, 2006 AT 6:16 PM

SHANNONPC
Just wanted to add that the car goes perfectly fine in reverse, absolutely no problem with that.
Wednesday, October 18th, 2006 AT 6:20 PM
SHANNONPC
Ok. More info. Truck won't move at all when I have the gear on the 2. I have P R N O D 2 1. So when it is in 2 I can't get it to move at all. Also a loud clunking noise is coming from somewhere, and a large squealing noise is coming from UNDER the truck, not under the hood. I hope somebody out there replies, I feel like I am talking to myself.

PS. NONE of these problems happened during my test drive of the vehicle last night! Am I just plain screwed? :Shock:
+2
Wednesday, October 18th, 2006 AT 7:26 PM
JUGGALO
First thing I would do is check the transmission fluide while in Idle and see if flluid level is right and if it is then if the tranmission fluid has a burnt smell to it you might need to have it serviced But if it was me and just getting it last night I would see if they would pay to have it fixed or take it back. You may get lucky and only have to replace the transmission filter kit and new fluid because if it is dirty it will cause your transmission to stick.
Thursday, October 19th, 2006 AT 10:05 AM
SHANNONPC
Ok. Transmission fluid is at the right level, and has no smell to it. It is the right color, not black. I called the guy who sold it to me, talked to his wife who claims they never had a problem like this, and said the husband would call me back, and of course, no reply yet. He was supposed to call last night. I am hoping that it is something minor. Somebody told me it may be a U-Joint? I am a female, and don't know these mechanical terms. I have an appointment Monday AM.I had it at Monroe, before this problem, and the only problem they detected were shocks. Of course, I highly doubt they check the transmission. It was just a routine oil change and I asked them to inspect the brakes. So I guess I will ask the garage to check transmission fluid and filter and pray that it works. Thanks for your post above.
Thursday, October 19th, 2006 AT 10:57 AM
CATCH_15
I'd say if the transmission fluid is ok, check to see if your shift cable is tight. If not, it may not be engaging the transmission like it should.
+1
Friday, October 20th, 2006 AT 10:41 PM
SHANNONPC
Took it to a transmission place today, was told it could be the pistons. Said not to worry about it, and to purchase Lukas fluid to put in. Will try this tomorrow. Anyone know about this Lukas fluid?
Friday, October 20th, 2006 AT 11:13 PM
CATCH_15
Lucas is the best of the best.
Saturday, October 21st, 2006 AT 3:14 PM
SHANNONPC
:evil: So I put the Lucas Fluid in, NOW the vehicle won't move at all! Not at all in drive. I am going to have to have it towed to the garage. I am completely FUMING. Livid. Dude won't return my phone calls from who I purchased it off of. It is driving me nuts.I wish the garage was open tomorrow so I can figure out what the deal is. :X
Saturday, October 21st, 2006 AT 4:51 PM
CATCH_15
How much did you put in?
Saturday, October 21st, 2006 AT 8:39 PM
SHANNONPC
I put the whole bottle in. The transmission shop man told me to put a whole bottle in and that it is impossible to overfill it with one bottle. The vehicle is going forward now, will wait and see what tomorrow brings. !
Saturday, October 21st, 2006 AT 9:16 PM
SHANNONPC
It is at the garage now. Here is the list of items of what the problem is:

E-Brake is hung up, needs all new cables
Rear Brakes are down to the drums
4 Calipers
4 Shocks
Sway Bar
Bushings

I am assuming the reason it isn't going forward is the Emergency Brake is engaging, and is stopping the vehicle from moving.

Garage gave me an estimate of $1100.00 Does this sound right?
Monday, October 23rd, 2006 AT 9:05 PM
CATCH_15
If the brake is hung up, it probably will need new cables. And if your brakes are bad, front and rear service shouldn't be more than $200. If I were you, I wouldn't get a new swaybar and bushings unless the car is handling extrememly poorly. Also, if the ride is very rough depending on how many miles the car has, the shocks may need replaced. But with the suspension setup that Ford uses, none of these should be big jobs and $1100 sounds very pricey for that work. I'd get a couple estimates somewhere else.
Monday, October 23rd, 2006 AT 9:34 PM