Bleeding a 2002 Explorer Clutch.

JVLEER
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
2002 Ford Explorer Sport: This may be an easy fix but I'm still stuck. I just replaced the clutch master cylinder on recommendation from Ford. Gears were not engaging properly after extended driving. According to them my master cylinder was losing pressure and needed replacing with a new one. I put a brand new one in and am at the point of trying to restore pressure in the hydraulic system. The slave seems to have a bleeder, but when I open it nothing comes out, totally dry. When I pump the clutch pedal with the bleeder open, still nothinng comes through. I have tried pumping the clutch pedal repeatedly hoping to send fluid through the system and build up pressure. But no luck. The truck was drivable before but started failing after longer operation. Is this Explorer Clutch bled differently? Could the new master cylinder (or slave.) Be jacked? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Thursday, March 9th, 2006 AT 12:06 PM

DB554
Try a gravity bleed. Take the top off of the fluid resivoir and open the bleeder valve let the fluid run out until there are no bubbles. Close the valve and fill the fluid. Good luck!
-1
Saturday, March 11th, 2006 AT 5:59 PM
JVLEER
Thanks for the tip. I actually figured it out. I had to bleed the actual line from master to slave. Once I did that I bled the master cylinder like 15 times. Now it has perfect pressure.
Saturday, March 11th, 2006 AT 9:05 PM