2003 Ford Explorer Wire Harness.

J_DEAN_EGGER
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
I recently replaced a door blend actuator in my wifes 03 explorer. I couldn't find any other way to get to it besides removing entire dash and surrounding interior pieces. After hours of fighting I finally got the old out and new in. While putting the dash back together and putting steeering column up I broke a part of the wire harness that goes into my odometer. I believe theres 5 total that clip into the odometer. The one that broke is a large on furthest inboard, or towards the passenger side. I didnt count but looks like about 20 wires total. Only one wire came off but the part where the wire goes into is busted. Also, there is like 2 or 4 extra spots open on that side of the clip so im not sure what one the wirewould go into anyways. Any idea the name of this clip the wire harness meets? Or, a wiring diagram of any sort? Ive been searching the web for hours now. Im not having any luck, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Monday, December 7th, 2009 AT 11:13 PM

RICKMAR
You pulled the whole dash !! My aching X$$, that was a S.O.B. to do !!
All because of a piece of "plastic" on the Blend Door Actuator became "brittle" when subjected to "heat".
Those Ford/Lincoln/Mercury design engineers are real winners!!

I am quite sure you are referring to connector (#1) the (Thin white connector) on the far right in the picture below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Cluster_connectors_copy_1.jpg

Does your rear view of the instrument cluster look like the one pictured below?
(Passenger side Left) Connector #1 (Wide Thin White Connector) connects to the very top #1 in picture below.
Connector #3 (Small White Connector) connects at the bottom #3 in picture below.
Connector #2 (Wide Thin Black Connector) connects at the top #2 in picture below just before where the small circuit board protrudes out.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Cluster_Rear_View_1.jpg

Hopefully we are both on the same page in reference to the instrument cluster. Let me know if we are looking at the same instrument cluster and I will get right back to you and help you get those wires connected so you can be done with the headache.
Rick
Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 AT 11:27 AM
J_DEAN_EGGER
Ya, was a pain, but I got everything back together and everything seems to be working. But I dont know how long the wire will stay in that slot without being locked in. Yea it seems to be the same cluster, I didnt completely tear the cluster apart so Im not positive. Number 1 looks like the one, ive looked all over for someone selling those pigtails but hasnt been any luck. Its my wifes truck so im trying to get it right I dont want her headlights to go out or something while she is driving. Maybe this weekend im going to go to the boneyard and see if I can get one off an explorer there. Will probably be as big of a pain as taking the dash apart lol. Cant believe I smashed that clip. I just did basically the same job in my bravada a few months ago for the heater core. I cant find any wire diagrams or anything anywhere. So hopefully I can find a totaled explorer around the same year. Do you know what models or years the instrument cluster changed? Or if it even has?
Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 AT 6:29 PM
RICKMAR
I put a 2001 instrument cluster in my 1999 Mercury Mountaineer. Everything plugged in the same identical way, I didn't have to fiddle around and change anything.

FROM THIS 1999 BLACK GAUGE CLUSTER

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_7_2.jpg

TO THIS 2001 WHITE GAGE CLUSTER

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Untitled3_2.jpg

I think, "but not sure" the instrument clusters changed starting in "2002" - they started with some digital readouts like mileage in the lower right corner.etc. I would say you will be good from 2002 - 2005.
I would ask them at the bone yard what years are compatible with your 2003, they will know without a doubt. Maybe you will get lucky and find an explorer with the instrument cluster already removed. Just make sure it is the right year and cut the connector you need from the harness- then all you will need to do is connect the same color wires to your 2003. If they don't know at the bone yard, just poke around and find an "identical" instrument cluster and you will be fine. I would solder the wires together and cover them with electrical tape to be safe.

If you have any questions you can get back to me anytime at all. Just private message me and I will get right back to you.

Good Luck;
Rick
Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 AT 10:18 PM
J_DEAN_EGGER
I figured out what the wire is for. It goes to the interior light for right blinker. Not really to important will prolly just tape it up untill summer and then try to fix it. Thanks a lot for the help and advise
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 6:22 PM