1999 Ford Explorer TRANSFER CASE PROBLEM?

GLENNBPERU
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER
I CANT GET THE EXPLORER TO SHIFT TO JUST 2 WHEEL DRIVE EVEN AFTER OVERHAULING THE SELECTOR MOTOR ON THE TRANSFER CASE.
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 9:48 PM

Are you getting power to the actuator?
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 AT 10:54 PM
GLENNBPERU
Yes there is power to the motor because I can select 4whl LOW. It shifts between 4 whl LOW and HIGH with no problem.
I thought that the neutral position on the selector shaft on the Transfercase would allow 2 wheel drive but it wont go forward or reverse in that neutral position.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 8:54 AM
GLENNBPERU
OK a more basic Q. How can you tell that the Explorer is in Auto/ 2 wheel drive?
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 3:40 PM
Two ways. Put the vehicle on a lift, start it, and place it in gear to see which tires spin. Or you can see if it spins easily in loose gravel.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 10:08 PM
GLENNBPERU
WITH THE EXPLORER JACKED UP WITH A WHEELS OFF THE GROUND ALL 4 WHEELS TURN REGARDLESS OF THE POSITION OF THE SELECTOR ON THE DASH (AUTO, 4 WHL HIGH OR 4 WHL LOW).
IN SOFT SAND ALL 4 WHEELS DIG IN AT THE SAME TIME.
I UNDERSTOOD THAT THE "AUTO" POSITION WOULD KICK IN THE FRONT WHEEL DRIVE IF THE REAR WHEELS SLIPPED OR SPUN. BUT IS THERE A LAG IN TIME OR PRACTICALLY INSTANTANEOUS?
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 8:24 AM
GLENNBPERU
Well, a friend of a friend came up with an answer.
Un plug all elect. Connectors having to do with the system, at the transfer case, above the left, rear wheel well (inside vech) then disconnect the battery (both + & -) wait 5 min. Then plug everything back in and Lastly hook up the battery. This resets the computer to default. Now the rear wheels will turn (milking the clutch very slowly) without the front wheels engaging until the computer senses the rear wheels "slipping" then with a clunk, the front drive shaft and wheels rotate. Well hope this helps some poor soul avoid a week's worth of headache and work as it cost me.
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 8:33 PM
I'm glad you got it fixed and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.
Friday, August 20th, 2010 AT 10:34 PM