IT JUST DIED... AND WON'T START

1999 Ford Explorer

Jimbomm

June, 18, 2010 AT 2:15 PM

1999 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Ok, my wife was driving my 99 for explorer and it just died in the middle of the road. Since then we have not been able to get it started. Occasionally it will sound like it is going to turn over, but dies immediately. I disconnected the fuel filter and tested the fuel pump, it was good. Then we check; in no particular order; The Coil (which fired great), the injectors (all fine), The plugs, the plug wires, fuel lines, Inertia switch, the throttle body position switch. I then replaced the O2 sensor on the transmission, and the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The fuel is making it to the fuel rail, and the computer isn't throwing and error codes,

I am out of ideas. Please Help

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 18, 2010 AT 4:04 PM

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge EFI system don't like low pressures

Jimbomm

June, 18, 2010 AT 4:29 PM

I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel filter, and I " tested" the fuel pump my disconnecting the fuel line at the filter, and turning the ignition. The pump produced what I would call a decent amount of gas.
So, Since I know the regulator and filter are good,
am I right in assuming that the only thing that could cause low presure would be a week or non-functioning fuel pump?

And since my pump is definitivly sending gas. I guess my question would be,
Will a week fuel pump completly prevent the vehicle from starting?

(The main reason I am asking this is becuase I don't want to shell out the $75 dollars for a gauge)

June, 18, 2010 AT 5:22 PM

It might be spitting out fuel but is it 30-65psi as required by specs. Guessing can be costly, also are you getting ignition spark and are the injectors pulsing?

Jimbomm

June, 24, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

As I say, I do not have a gauge to check the actual Fuel Pressure. The sparkplugs are firing, and the Injector Coil is Pulsing, I used an Ohm meter to test the injectors themselves, they read at 15 ohms which is within the tolerance range of 11-18 ohms that the " Chilton service manual" says means the injector is functional.

June, 24, 2010 AT 3:30 PM

If the sparkplugs are firing then you have a fuel problem or a valve and ignition timing