ENGINE DRIVE CHAIN

1998 Ford Explorer

gca1265

August, 27, 2008 AT 8:14 AM

1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

Recently the engine started making a loud noise and began to sound like a diesel. I thought I had rod problems and took it to a Ford dealer. They said that the engine drive chain needed to be replaced but they would not repair it due to the high mileage and they wanted $8,000 to install a new engine. We like the car and would like to keep it. We live in San Diego. Can this repair be made and how much should it cost? Any recommendations on where to have it repaired? Thanks.

obxautomedic

August, 27, 2008 AT 11:28 AM

I believe they are talking about the Timing Chain and yes the repair can be made. The cost of the repair will depend on the engine if it is a 4.0L 6 cylinder Over Head Valve (ohv) Push Rod Engine or a 4.0L 6 cylinder Single Over Head Cam (SOHC).

The repair can be done at your local garage. I would call around for pricing and find a good reputable one.

gca1265

August, 27, 2008 AT 10:07 PM

The engine is a 4.0L 6 cylinder Single Over Head Cam (SOHC). Can you give me the estimated cost based on the model engine repair manual that insurance companies and estimaters use? Thanks.

August, 28, 2008 AT 8:54 PM

Labor rate varies with location could range from $70-$130.00 per hr. shop around

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_timing_chain_1.jpg

badbo

August, 28, 2008 AT 9:14 PM

14.5 hours at what ever rate you have near you. 4.0 sohc has a front and rear timing chain. Drive to Texas and I will do it for 5000. Just kidding. Hope this helps.
Badbo

obxautomedic

August, 30, 2008 AT 8:24 PM

Thanks rasmataz and badbo for helping out here I have been very sick last few day. Finally feeling better.

Thanks Again

Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD