1997 FORD EXPLORER MAKES WHIRRING NOISE WHEN DRIVING OVER 3

• mistery1310
  • 1997 Ford Explorer

1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. Automatic. This is the problem I am having. When I drive over 35 mph as soon as I let off the gas my rpms drop out, and a very loud whiring type noise comes from the engine. If I hit the gas again it stops or if I brake back down to usually under 30mph. It does it every single time. As long as I dont let off the gas it doesnt do it.

It doesnt seem to have any issues switching gears. And as long as I dont let off the gas it wont make the noise. As soon as I let off the gas petal the rpms just go down to 0 instantly and the noise starts. It doesnt sound like metal grinding, its whiring/spinning type noise, like maybe something is trying to grap or catch and its not. It is very loud though.

Any idea?

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 1:50 AM

• Docfixit

Hi
So let off gas noise then engine shuts off ie. 0rpms?
Get truck up to speed of @50 mph shift trans out of OD then into OD Rpm drop when put back in OD? Rpm gain when put in D from oD?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 9:23 AM