1994 Ford Explorer Does not go into 4 wheel drive

ADVENTUROUS3
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
1994 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My Explorer will not go into 4 wheel drive when I push the button. Fuse is good; control modular in rear clicks and has a solid red light which stays on. Actuator does not seem to be getting power. Switches in transfer case indicate it is in 2 wheel drive. No lights work on the dash area. Any suggestions from here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 8:35 PM

Have you checked the actuator to make sure it isn't getting power? Actuator problems on these vehicles are common.

Let me know.
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 11:09 PM
ADVENTUROUS3
The actuator tested to be fine. However, it may not be getting power but not sure as to why. Traced the power from underneath dash and it seems to be working on that end. Just seems like from there it all loses power along the way. Cannot figure out why nor where. Any suggestions?
Sunday, August 1st, 2010 AT 9:31 AM
Have you disconnected the wiring harness on the actuator? If not, do so and check for damage, corrosion. If you have already done that, you need to start tracking the wiring back to the relay to see where it is lost. It could be a broken wire, fuse, relay.
Sunday, August 1st, 2010 AT 10:24 PM
ADVENTUROUS3
The electrical system has been tracked and is confirmed to be working accurately as of yesterday afternoon. It has been determined that the problem is the actual actuator. How do I go about aquiring a new one or in finding a used one to replace this one? Can this one be taken apart and cleaned to make it work again?
Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 7:13 AM
I had a feeling that was the problem. It is very common on these vehicles. As far as repair, it is usually a combination of corrosion, rust. That causes them to stop. By the time you get new parts to fix it, you could have just gotten one with a warranty.

As far as replacement, check some of the parts stores. I would think by now you can get them aftermarket. If they can't get them, a dealer will be expensive, so check salvage yards. I'm confident you'll find one. Just make sure they warranty the part.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 11:12 PM