1992 Ford Explorer Car won't start

DSKOORB
  • 1992 FORD EXPLORER
I replaced the ignition relay and it clicks when I turn the key, however, the starter won't turn over. I'm considering pulling and taking it for testing. It worked fine until I had the idler and tension pulleys replaced. Any thoughts as to what else might be?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 9:55 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Did you replace the Ignition Relay or the Starter Relay?

If replace ignition relay and you get a clicking under hood in area of battery then I would replace the Starter Relay here is a pic of what to look for.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:02 AM
DSKOORB
The item you sent a photo of is what I replaced. It does click when I turn the key to start.

What would be the next thing to check?

Thanks for your help!
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:10 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Try jump starting it. If it will start then most likely its your battery and you should take it by your local parts store and have them test it.

.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:14 AM
DSKOORB
Did that. I've checked all the fuses, metered the correct voltage at the coil pack, and all cables are intact.

I'm putting it up on jack stands now and will pull the starter to have it tested. Does this seem prudent or should I just have to towed to a shop. Just trying to save some money.

Thanks again.

Dave
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:20 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, if the relay is clicking the try this.

Jump the 2 big terminals using a screwdriver, if the engine turns over then you may have gotten a defective relay.

.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:23 AM
DSKOORB
Which terminals, on the relay or the starter?
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:28 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
The 2 Large terminals on the relay by the battery.

With the relay clicking it's an indication the there is either not enough power getting throught it, A bad Relay or bad cable.

.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:32 AM
DSKOORB
I will try it. I have to get to my friends house to do so, it's in his garage. I'll let you know what happens!

Thanks again for your time and help.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:37 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, if it doesn't turn over then you should go ahead and remove the starter and take it in for testing.

.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 10:39 AM
DSKOORB
I pulled the starter assembly off and took it to be tested. It tested okay. Perplexed, I cleaned it up and re-installed it. When I pulled if off, I noticed that the small wire in the bundle that attached to the solenoid was not connected. When I re-installed it, I connected that small wire (it was on a spade terminal), and it started right up.

Thanks for your help.
Friday, July 3rd, 2009 AT 4:35 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Great Job!
Monday, July 6th, 2009 AT 4:19 PM