FORD EXPEDITION CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT

• bd1133
  • Ford Expedition

Somebody else asked this question, but I did not see any response so I thought I would repeat the question since I am having the same problem. I have 2003 Ford Expedition with approximately 66,000 miles. About two weeks ago, check charging system warning started displaying and battery light coming on and off. Had my battery and alternator checked at a local auto store, on their recommendation I changed both as well as the belt. In spite of above changes, the battery light and warning is continuously on now. If I do not have to, I do not want to take it into the dealership for costly "diagnostic tests" and repairs. Does anybody know what may be causing this problem? Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 10:18 PM

• rasmataz

If all the connections are properly tight and clean I would have the computer check out, it controls the alternator regulator to maintain the voltage output of the alternator.

-2
Wednesday, September 12th, 2007 AT 10:38 PM
  • antnee3

I replaced my battery, but it did not fix. I noticed that when "Check Charging System" was on, I would have 12.1 volts, when it would go out, 13.9. While it sounds like an alternator problem, I thought it was weird that it could basically work, and then not work.

I have been driving the car without issue until last night. While driving, the car just completely stalled. Suddenly, I had the "Check Charging System", and battery light on. I pulled over, turned key, and the engine cranked over fast, and was not starting. If I turned the key off, removed it, replaced it, and restarted, no problem. I limped home doing this three different times. Now the battery light is on solid. Finally, though, I have a service engine soon light, so I should be able to get some trouble codes.

This sounds to me like a computer- or sensor-based problem. I am going to hook up my code reader later today and see what I find.

In the mean time, did you get any progress with yours?

Thanks all!

Monday, September 17th, 2007 AT 12:54 PM
  • rasmataz

I won't be surprise if the code says battery voltage correction. Try testing the Ig. Switch sounds like its acting funny if you have to do that.

+1
Monday, September 17th, 2007 AT 1:25 PM
  • DHCHJHPH

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition doing the same exact thing. I noticed it did it more so when the air conditioner or heat was running like something was drawing the power down or something. Now it is doing it all the time mainly when I am accelerating. I to have had my truck not want to start, I had to take the key out and then reinsert it too in order to get it to start a couple of times now. Anyone? Please have an answer for me!

+1
Saturday, December 15th, 2007 AT 7:45 PM
  • pcava57

From your description and based on a similar problem I had with my 2004 Expedition, I would suspect an intermittent partial short to ground. Check the wiring harness that runs near the air conditioning compressor. More it around and see it that affects the problem.

+4
Thursday, March 20th, 2014 AT 12:40 AM
  • ks73

ANTNEE3 : did you find out what the problem was? Mine started doing the exact same thing since last week. Please advise asap. Thanks.

-1
Sunday, January 24th, 2016 AT 7:39 AM
  • XxDeadPoolxX

Hi, My 2003 expedition just started having the same problem. It comes up, "check charging system" it has a brand new battery. Any help will help me a lot. Thank you!

+3
Thursday, February 18th, 2016 AT 2:56 PM