WHITE SMOKE

1998 Ford Expedition

fabrication

October, 19, 2010 AT 9:34 AM

1998 Ford Expedition V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

My truck (gas engine) just started running rough and white smoke started pooring out the tailpipe. The smoke has a strong smell of raw fuel unburned. When I drive the vehicle it pings and diesels and has a hard time picking up speed leaving a trail of white smoke behind. I took it to a shop and they said that I had low compression on two joining cylinders and that it needed a head gasket ($1700). I question for the time that they had it that they actually did a compression check. There is no codes, no coolant lose, no coolant or gas in the oil. No overheating. The radiator pressure checked ok. I checked fuel pressure on the rail, checked fuel injectors and harnesses with a fuel system tester. I am having a hard time accepting that it is a head gasket. Thanks for any help.

October, 19, 2010 AT 9:48 AM

Hi fabrication,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptoms do indicate misfiring cylinders.

Sometime head gasket can go bad between adjoining cylinders due to loss of torque on the head bolts. This can occur after overheating that might have occurred some time back.

A compression test is not too difficult to perform so if you are not convinced, get it done again.

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator