1998 Ford Escort Leaking fluid

• 1998 FORD ESCORT

1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

I just bought this car for college. It wasn't initally leaking fluid; however, today after I drove it it spilled fluid everywhere. The fluid is pink, not black. Do I have to get a brand new transmission? The car is driving fine and did not give me any indication that it was bad other than the fluid. Do you have any suggestions? Could it be a line, gasket, seal? Something other than the whole transmission? How much do these things usually cost to have repaired? I am getting ready for college and really can't afford this. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance for your help and reply.

Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 10:01 PM

You have a definite t/m leak but you have to locate the leak first to target the type of repair needed. I would suggest getting a can of gunk engine cleaner from the local store then spray it over the t/m and the surrounding area then hose it down. Top and bottom. Then start the car and look see where there is a definite leak first make sure there is sufficient oil in the t/m. You may not need a t/m only minor repair.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 5:47 PM