- WON'T GO INTO GEAR

1991 Ford Escort

sshewell

May, 15, 2006 AT 9:21 AM

I can't get the darn thing to change gears. The clutch goes all the way in and I don't feel ANY pressure behind it. I pulled the slave cylinder this weekend and the plunger moves in and out freely. I didn't check the master cylinder because of the work involved with getting it out, but I guess I will have to pull that as well.

How do I check that to make sure that it is okay? I replaced both the master cylinder and the slave cylinder in September of last year (2005). I bought both of the parts at Autozone. Someone told me their parts are crap.

Can ANYONE offer any ideas as to what my issue may be? The car has 187,000 miles on the original clutch, so I know that it is on its last legs, but it was working fine before. The car acted the same way last year and when I replaced both of the parts it worked fine.

I appreciate any advice you can give. The advice I received last year was right on the money and saved me a ton in repair costs.

losone

May, 15, 2006 AT 5:33 PM

Go to a real parts store like NAPA and buy both master and slave. Insure you clean the lines before you install them. You won't have any more problems. I totally agree with your friends comments. The only thing I buy from the zone is something I can pour out of a bottle or can.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250