CLUTCH PROBLEM

1991 Ford Escort

cathan

April, 16, 2007 AT 4:55 PM

I just bought this car last week and there wasnt anything wrong with the clutch. It has 103,000 miles on it. Yesturday when I started to move from a stopped position the clutch would go all the way in but I couldnt change gears. I had problems shifting up when I got my clutch to work and also down shifting. It would do this some times and some times there wasnt any problem. The pedal moves but it wont let me shift gears. I was having to slam down on the pedal to get it to react to anything. Some times when im completely stopped it will just stall out even though I have the clutch pushed in all the way. I got it home last night and this afternoon the clutch isnt working at all. I cant even get the car to start. Can you tell me what could be wrong?

merlin2021

April, 17, 2007 AT 3:11 AM

Well if the clutch was properly adjusted. Have a look at the cable, get someone to step on the clutch and watch the movement. Cable may have snapped.

cathan

April, 17, 2007 AT 11:22 AM

Well I found another problem today. When I try to start the car it moves forward even though I dont have my foot on the clutch pedal, the emergancy brake was on, and my foot was on the brake. Could it still be the cable that broke?

bestbet777

April, 18, 2007 AT 3:22 AM

Check clutch fluid, if any. Check linkage from pedal tto transmission.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions