2002 FORD ESCAPE FORD ESCAPE OVERHEATING

• anburt
  • 2002 Ford Escape

Engine Cooling problem
2002 Ford Escape 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 185, 00 miles

My 2002 Ford Escape suddenly started to overheat while driving on the highway. It began smoking so I quickly drove to the nearest exit. For some time I had been adding coolant because the coolant would just disappear but I did not see a leak from underneath the truck and it still ran fine. Until the day I was on the highway. While driving to the exit the upper radiator hose blew completely open. Also when I got a oil change at walmart the mechanic said something about my oil pan being filled with oil but I dont know. I'm completely confused as to what the problem is. The engine overheat severely but the truck still starts up but i'm not sure if I should replace the engine or what? I wonder if I have a blown head gasket.

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 3:38 PM

• merlin2021

Are you sure the mechanic didn't say it was full of antifreeze? Check that dipstick and see what comes out! The head gasket or a cracked head are a real possibility. The hose may have blown off due to extreme pressures of the head/gasket problem, the antifreeze problem was it was being burned off in the motor as you drove, got way to low and totally blew.

Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 3:43 PM