2002 Ford Escape transmission troubles

JEROMO34
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
At the beginning of August 2013, I had my auto in the shop because the radiator cracked. The shop I took it to replaced the radiator, the radiator cap, the upper and lower hoses, the serpentine belt (because it had fluid sprayed on it from the radiator and it needed replacement), a new battery, new battery terminals, and had a super clean flush (I don't know what that means). I picked up my auto on August 3, 2013. Cost $803.56. I was told that in 1-2 weeks I would need to bring my auto back for a second flush. I did not bring back right away and my auto was running ok except that from the day I picked it up from the garage, it was making a strange clicking noise from under the hood. 6 weeks later my transmission began to slip badly, so badly that I had to have it towed back to the garage (it was undriveable). That was September 17, 2013. They called me back the next day and told me that they had the car out and the transmission was working properly and they just needed to flush out the systems that I was told to do 4 weeks prior but didn't do and I also needed a radiator cap because mine had a bad seal. I picked up my vehicle when I got paid 1 week later. September 26, 2013. Cost $204.50. When I got in my auto and turned it on, there was a dash light on that I never had on before. When I got home, I checked the manual and found that it was the low coolant light. The car just got repaired so I decided to take it back to the garage. On my way back, the transmission began to slip very badly again and I had to pull over and have it towed back to the garage. They called me back 2 hours later and told me that the transmission was shot. My question is, was I ripped off? Did they charge me for a system flush $200.00 when they had to have known that the transmission was shot? Was I charged for two radiator caps for no reason? Is this garage charging me for repairs that aren't needed or just getting me for whatever money they could before my transmission goes and they wouldn't tell me?
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 5:30 AM

With 200 some thousand miles it should not have been flushed. Most trans shopes won't do that. It may have helped your tranny along doing damage, but until you get it torn apart you can't really tell. So have a trans guy tear it apart for an overhaul and make sure to tell him the circumstances. If the tranny wasn't flushed then i'd say it's just age. I t kind of sounds like they should have warrantied a few parts and don'thave any idea why a system needs flushing twice with in amonth especially with all theparts that have been changed.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 8:06 AM
JEROMO34
Thank you for the response! I went back to the shop today to inquire about some of the info on the invoice. The mechanic also told me that my auto will need to be continually flushed every few weeks indefinitely, unless I purchase a new engine or transmission. He admitted to making a mistake for charging me twice for a radiator cap, $22.00 the first time and $42.00 the second time, which he refunded for me. I am not satisfied with the way I have been treated by this auto shop. A friend who came with me asked the head mechanic or manager, im not sure which he is, maybe both, he asked why was my vehicle flushed a second time, when my auto was brought in for transmission problems? The mechanic told me because it needed to be done and when they drove my auto around, they experienced no shifting issues. I had extreme transmission problems before the first time I brought it in and after they said the shifting issues were resolved. Is it possible for him to be telling me the truth about this?
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 1:19 PM
I need to know something was the coolant system flushed or was the transmission flushed? It is possible that there were no transmission troubles when he drove it becaue he probably didn't drive it long enough to get hot. That is a bunch of crap about having to have the coolant system flushed indefinitely if it is needing that it may be because of leak like ahead gasket etc. Which MOSTmechanics if they saw oil in water would pressure check for that. I would not deal with this shop again and do what I had said go to a trans shop. Aslong as the correct coolant fluid was put in then don't worry about it. It sounds like this is one of those oil place changes which NO service should be done on a car by them at all. If the transmission was flushed it could have ate the clutch plates up due to the new fluid and have never been changed before which due to the high mileage it tends to do that sort of stuff.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 1:26 PM
JEROMO34
It was the coolant system. Also, before I had the radiator replaced and the hoses, my transmission ran perfectly fine with absolutely no problems, no noises, and no strange sounds. As soon as I got my auto back from the radiator repair, I suddenly had strange noises coming from under the hood and my auto has not been the same. My friend brought up the head gasket problem and the mechanic said that it was not the head gasket. I don't remember 100% what he said about oil, but he did say something about there being oil and so this coolant flush would need to continue. It did seem bogus to me as well, because they basically replaced the whole coolant system, radiator and hoses, and flushed it once, so why would it have to continually get flushed? I am definitely not going back there again. I wish there was something more I could do to warn other people about this place and their shady ways. Maybe write a complaint to the BBB, I don't know. I almost feel like something happened to my auto while it was in the shop to cause it to break down so much all at once. The miles are high, so it could just be natural breakdown from age.I will def take it to a transmission shop and get an estimate on what the problem really is.
Friday, September 27th, 2013 AT 9:43 PM